Adding tackifier to water-based glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomJones29

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2018
GB
Hi everybody,

I have this water-based glue, latex based - not sure of the chemical composition but I would say it's similar to Tearmender. Say you want to glue together a piece of sponge on a piece of wood: with Tearmender, you would have to apply a layer on the sponge and a layer on the piece of wood, wait to dry and attach them together. If you only glue the sponge side, it will not stick to the wood.

Question is, is there anything you can do to this glue (adding a tackifier, resin, or a process etc.) so it becomes tacky, like a 'post it' note? I need enough adhesion to keep the sponge on the wood, with just one layer applied on the sponge, but also be able to reposition indefinitely.

More specifically, I'm talking about water-based glues (brands like Donic Vario Clean, TSP Bio Fix, Andro Turbo Fix, Revolution no. 3 - all pretty much the same thing with a different packaging) used to stick table tennis rubbers on table tennis blades. The end result has to be an alteration of an existing glue, rather than a completely different but tacky off-the-shelf glue. I tried 3M Remount glue-spray (acetone based) and while providing the tack effect needed, it very much changes the way racket plays, for the worse.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back