Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Adding the same balloon multiple times in a drawing (ANSI) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShlomoB

May 14, 2024
IL
Hello,
I need some help related to ANSI drawing standards that I could find any reference.
My question is related to "adding balloons in an assembly drawing".
When we have complex assembly drawings with multiple views and sheets, it seems to me more appropriate or more clear to use the same balloon (referring to the same item) in many views where the item appears.
Some people in our company argue with that, saying that the balloon should appear only ONCE and any other appearances should come with a REF note next to the balloon.
The question is "Is there any obligation to use balloon numbers only ONCE in a drawing?" Is there any reference to this in the ANSI drawings standards?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMHO: The purpose of the drawing - and any notes or balloons, etc. - is to provide clarity of intent.

In my career, most manufacturing drawings ensure that "notes" only appear once on any given drawing as they take up a bunch of space that could be used for pictorial representation. When/how balloons or other details appear is entirely dependent on the company policy - although if in doubt, having it appear more than once (in a separate view, for example) is acceptable.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

I agree with using REF on subsequent balloons to the same component in different views.
We use Creo software and when we use the quantity in a balloon, the software will not allow a second balloon without it being marked as REF or having the quantity of the original balloon decreased.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I have to agree if the original callout included all instances of an item.
If the item qty is broken up between various locations on the drawing, then there should be a hard qty callout at those locations. The intent would be that all hard qty callouts would add up to the total qty specified in the BOM. Any extra balloons would be reference. This simplifies checking quite a bit.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back