Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Adding Toughness Test (Impact Test) results to existing PQR - ASME IX / ASME Section VIII, Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

YMech

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2017
US
Hello,

I have a PQR/WPS that has been done with the typical bend and tensile tests. I no longer have the original sample that was used to perform these tests. We now need impact testing performed. If we use the exact same procedure & variables to weld another coupon, is there anything saying that we can't add the impact results to the existing PQR? Or do we need to do another full-blown PQR with bend, tensile, and impact samples and use the (2) PQR's to qualify our WPS?

The PQR is to ASME IX, but we need impact testing per ASME Sect. VIII, Div. 1.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No problem adding impacts after the fact.

BPV Section IX
Edition/Addenda:
Para./Fig./Table No:
Subject Description: QW-401.3 and QW-403.6, Thickness Range Qualified for Impact Testing (2007 Edition)
Date Issued: 05/01/2008
Record Number: 08-576
Interpretation Number : IX-07-09
Question(s) and Reply(ies):

Background: A welding procedure qualification was performed on a 1-in. (25-mm) thick test coupon. Tension and bend tests were performed on the 1-in. (25-mm) plate. A second welding procedure qualification was performed on a 0.24-in. (6-mm) plate and only impact testing was performed. All of the essential and supplementary essential variables remained the same except for the coupon thickness.

Question: May the above PQRs be used to support a WPS for material requiring notch toughness with a qualified thickness range of 0.1875 in. (5 mm) to 2 in. (50 mm)?

Reply: Yes.

However, be aware that the interpretation above is no longer valid as written due to a Code change pertaining to the requirements for impact tests in the HAZ. See Table UG 84.6 and CC 2835. Bottom line is that PQR impact tests on a thin plate as described in the interpretation no longer support the thickness range described in the interpretation.

Thanks Guys.

One more question. If I add the toughness tests to a PQR, can I still use that PQR for another WPS without including the toughness testing? I.e, two different PQR numbers/documents but both having the same bend and tensile results, one including toughness and the other with no toughness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back