Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

additional sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwarnke

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2008
US
When I create a drawing from my part, I also need to create additional sheets within that drawing for welds, inpection and so on. On each sheet that I add, I want my title block to be different than the primary page(reduced in size). I don't want to simply create 6 sheets or something pre-setup, I want Solidworks to read an alternate template each time I add a tab. So I suppose my question is, how do I set a default sheet for an additional page? Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

Joel Warnke
SolidWorks Premium 2008 SP3.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The manual way would be to "insert sheet" to add the new sheet. Make the sheet active and then change the properties to adjust the sheet size and title block (assuming you already have the title blocks of various sizes made). You might be able to save this as template? Not sure I've never tired.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
Eastern Region SWUGN Representative SW 2007 SP 2.0

Create your second sheet probably by deleting the unnecessary stuff from your primary sheet. Then go to file>save sheet format. Save it as a something like D-size sheet 2. Then when you add a sheet, just browse for this new sheet format.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Oh and you can create a new drawing and insert the second sheet and then save that as your drawing template. Remember there is a difference between sheet format and drawing template. Those are the correct buzz words, the help search will probably fill in the gaps.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

I'd really like to have it preset. I've noticed that when I add a sheet, Solidworks asks me to select a template. So I believe there should be a setting somewhere to permanently have an alternate template on additional sheets.

I think the closest you're going to be able to come on this one is to:

1. Create a new drawing template (drwdot) containing two sheets - your first sheet using the "first sheet" sheet format and then a single second sheet using the "following sheet" sheet format.
2. Go to Tools->Options, System Options tab, Drawings category and un-check "Show sheet format dialog on add new sheet"

If you create a drawing using that template, any sheets added to the drawing will automatically use the sheet format of the second sheet.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Announcment:

I just developed a method to allow SolidWorks Drawing Templates to use two completely different sheet formats, one for Sheet 1, and one for all subsequent sheets!

For anyone who wishes to use different sheet formats for a drawing template (one for sheet 1 and one for the other sheets), they usually have to directly load the correct sheet format for the subsequent sheets. I have discovered how to do this without requiring any action from the user. The steps will be posted tomorrow on my blog. In the meantime, I've posting a preliminary article here:

This has kind of been the holy grail when it comes to sheet Format/Drawing Template manipulation in SolidWorks. I wish someday SolidWorks will embed this functionality into SW, but until then, the method I found will work great.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

Good grief, is this really that big of a deal? If you set up your drawing template with two sheets, it's only what, three clicks to delete the second sheet? Or just have two templates, one for single sheet and one for multisheet?

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back