Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adhesive for gluing Nylon to carbon fibre? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumax

Aerospace
Jan 11, 2010
AU
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an adhesive to glue epoxy reinforced carbon fibre to glass filled Nylon 6/6. I've tried some methacrylates such as Devweld 530/531 and Nuplex Ma310, but neither will give a proper chemical bond. The application is to glue the carbon fibre nosecone onto a glass filled Nylon fan rotor for 110mm dia ducted fan units for R/C model aircraft. I currently have the rotors moulded from carbon fibre filled polycarb because it's easy to glue, but they are breaking too easily as the material is very brittle. Glass filled Nylon will solve this problem. I also balance the assembled rotor/nosecone using a mix of adhesive and aluminium powder to make balancing putty, so the adhesive will also need to be suitable for that as well.

Thanks very much!

Stu Maxwell
StumaxAircraft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Epoxy doesn't work?

The acrylate glues are bad news for polycarbonate.

Past posts have recommended solvent-based adhesives (Weld-On is one brand name).

Nylons are difficult to glue and the joint must be well designed for it to work.

There are only two types of solvents for nylons that can be used to solvent weld. These are strong organic acids like 90% formic acid or phenols.

Neither will bond at all to epoxy.

With excellent surface preparation, Methacrylate type glues bond to nylons with moderate strength. With good joint design so that the strength comes largely from mechanical connection with the adhesive just holding things in place, kind of like soft solder and a capillary fitting.

The best possible result in my opinion comes from designing the nylon part with undercut holes or dovetails so that epoxy can be used to bond to the epoxy part and key into and weakly bond to the nylon.

Second best would be to have something like holes in one part and stakes or posts on the other and use methacrylate in conjunction with the mechanical interlock.
Another choice is to have the holes in the epoxy and the stakes on the nylon then hot stake or ultrasonic weld to form riverts from the stakes.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Oh, that's how, maybe not ready for the home yet. I got confused when halfway thru the OP there was mention of using polycarbonate, which can be solvent welded. Pat's nailed the nylon issues. It's lovely stuff if you can make a mechanical joint, or heat staking. And you can dye it pretty colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back