Adjacent pole, skip pole and consequent pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

elinBG

Electrical
Oct 1, 2013
BG
Hello,

I am still trying to get some official information about the winding of the compressor mentioned in this thread:
When reading several books, I noticed three strange type of connection diagrams:
[ul]
[li]Adjacent pole[/li]
[li]Skip pole[/li]
[li]Consequent pole[/li]
[/ul]

Can you please explain them as for begginer what do they mean?

There are also termins as "jumpers" and others. What do they mean?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consequent pole; Normally the windings are arranged to produce both north and south poles (when energized with DC for testing) In a consequent pole connection the connections are reversed on half the windings so that all windings produce poles of the same polarity. As a consequence, opposite poles form between the windings for a net result of twice as many poles and half the speed. Of course the motor must be wound in such a way that there is physical space between the wound poles for the consequent poles to form without being bucked by the wound poles..
I'll let the winders answer the rest of your questions.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Focusing on the words "adjacent" and "skip" there is simple meaning:

In adjacent pole you wind a phase from one pole to the next (adjacent) pole to the next etc.

In skip pole you wind a phase from one pole not to the next pole but the next after that (you skip the one in between).

To create the necessary alternating polarity of adjacent poles, you need to wire each electrically-adjacent group in opposite polarity for adjacent pole but with same polarity for skip group.

See discussion and figure here:
thread237-281260

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back