Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Adjusting air cylinder cushions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nod

Electrical
Feb 5, 2002
US
I have been ask to adj. all air cushions on a machine with probable 200 or more air cylinders. Its been while since I have done this. If I remember I can open the cushion up all the way as long as the pressure isn't to high and causeses the cyl. to hit real hard. Then gradually turn the cushion in until the desired setting is acheived. I guess I could also close the cushion all the way and then start opening it until the desired setting is acheived. Does the air cushion just use the exhausting air to slow the cyl. down at the end of the stroke?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks Nod

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's been a long time for me, too, but I'll try to help.

An air cushion is really a small piston attached to the top and bottom of the larger main piston. The smaller one fits into a cylinder at the each end of the the main cylinder. When this small piston enters the cylinder at the end, it begins closing the exhaust port.

Not all cushions are adjustable. In fact, I have never adjusted one, so I can't give you any advice on how to do it. I would think closing it fully, then opening until the desired setting is reached would be the best way to do it.

My experience is with hydraulic cushions but the principle is the same. Start with the cushion at its firmest setting, opening it slowly with each cycle until you have the deceleration you want. Remember that the pupose of the cushion is to avoid heavy impact and possible damage to equipment so don't start with the adjusters wide open!

Without the pressure at operating pressure, you will never get get the cushions properly set. (Increasing to operating pressure aftre setting will change the dampening characteristics caudsing you to re-adjust again.)

Therefore you have to start with the cushions over-damped at normal operating pressure.

Remember...
"If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back