Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin image question

Status
Not open for further replies.

darnell

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2003
US
The admin image we create is 2.75 Gig. It contains directories like Archivos de programa, Programme and Programmi. I need to copy the image to another server but I would like to trim the dead weight of the 2.75 gig image. Can someone tell me what is safe to delete?

I created the image from an English SP download, not spanish

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds about right... I wouldn't recommend deleting anything. I would worry about the MSI file not being able to resolve all the directories it was expecting, necessary or not. If the MSI file isn't happy, life becomes very difficult.

I would not edit it. If you want to change something with it, have all users exit from SW, setup the SW options as you want them and create a new image over the existing. First back it up.
If you edit the file and something goes wrong, it could affect everyone linked to it.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

You could always test it on the new server and see what happens, but PDMAdmin and ctopher are right.

Also if you do test it and there are no obvious problems, there could be once you try to apply the next SP. When that happens, I would bet that the SP will fail. Best case the SP would add everything you deleted back in and you would be back to where you are now.

Worst case would be if the test seems fine now, but many "grimlins" show up later which will be extremely difficult to track down.

Besides, 2.75 Gig is not bad. I just checked mine and it's 4.51 Gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back