Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin Image questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbieber

Computer
May 11, 2004
US
New administrator trying to understand the nuances of admin images. I've read the threads here and put together what I think I need to do at our site.

We are trying to install SP2005 sp2 from admin image. We have 3 stand-alone and 2 network seats. Created an admin image using the command prompt method per the Solidworks website on serverA and have the SNL on serverB. I was able to install a SNL client from the admin image which included the PDMWorks client and E-Drawings. The stand-alone client install only gave me SW, no PDMWorks or E-Drawings. According to the threads, this is normal and I must install PDMWorks and E-Drawings from the CD for the stand-alone clients.

It would seem though, that I can manually add commands in order to create a full install (SW, PDMWorks, E-Drawings) from the admin image for the stand-alone clients. If this is true, can I also create a script to install service packs for the stand-alone clients from the admin image?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Haven't used the PDMWorks windows installer thing yet, but I would guess it works the same as solidworks...

If you installed from an Admin image, the local installation can be updated using

swspmanager /p [name of the .msp file containing the service pack]

This will work as long as the installation has access to see the original Admin image as well as the .msp file.

E-drawings SP's are usually done with a full re-install...

You must create a separate admin image for every product you want to install for your user base. However, you will be unable to create one for eDrawings; that functionality is not supported. Anyone who needs the eDrawings publisher will need to have it done manually; the viewer is included with PDMWorks or it can be downloaded from the SW website.

I used the admin director which creates a .htm and .ini file.
The .ini file contains the line:
AFTERCMD=\\admin image location\update_Install.bat
The update_Install.bat file contains the line:
msiexec /i "admin image location\eDrawingsProEnglish\eDrawings.msi" LOGPERFORMANCE=0 ADDLOCAL=All /qb

This will automatically install eDrawings silently immediately after the SWx install.

Although, I do not remember exactly how I got the "admin image location\eDrawingsProEnglish\" folder. I think I downloaded the eDrawings file from the website and either unziped or installed it to the admin image folder.

The eDrawings Pro installation file is an EXE, which cannot be used for creating an admin image. I tried going to the MSI file on the CD, but I was unable to successfully create an admin image from that.

PDMWADmin, use winzip on the e-drawings.exe and unzip it's contents to a directory. That will leave you with the .msi file in that directory.

Hadn't thought of doing that... I'll give it a try. Thanks.

That's what I did jmongan! Thanks for the memory jog.

It works.

But if you can do the same thing with PDM, please note that Windows Installer will not wait for one to finish before starting the next. The second one will error out because it is already running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back