Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced propulsion and Ion engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJon

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2000
AU
Hi!
I am currently working as an aircraft engineer at Bankstown airport machining up parts to build planes and repairs, I am currently building the original patent of the first ion engine 1969, and have plans for other experimental engines, I am interested in machining and building satilites or space vehicles but I would also love to work on some experimental engines, is there anybody out there to assist me in my goals? [sig][/sig]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you tell me more about the ion engine that you are building, or point tell me where I could find some informatoin on that.

Thanks, [sig][/sig]

Well for the past thirty years the government has been developing this new form of engine and are now using them in sub-orbital thrusters, featured in popular science which are made from Nickel using H,Xe gas.From my own research in reverse engineering I found the original patent that sparked the design of the new engine for the mars mission.Its very simple, so simple infact I can make one at home it works on ionic discharge, electricity moves from - to + the negative wire is charged with 30,000 volt .5 milliamp, it charges the airmolecules around the negative wire and attracts them towards the positive creating thrust I'd like to some how create a propulsion system for within atmosheric conditions. What are you interests in it?
Tell me what you do?

A load of 25 kg need to be deliver to planet Mars what is the recomended size for such load and how much solar panel surface is needed to get enoug voltage

The Deep Space Probe (see jpl.nasa.gov) is using an ion engine as we speak. Seems they got good results. The real difficult part is to get good thrust out of it (it gets very good efficiency -- measured in Isp seconds, 2400 s vs 450 s for the shuttle engines). For Near Earth missions, the low thrust means that the spacecraft will be in the Earth's radiation belts for a while. If you can get some improvement in the thrust -- even for a short period at the expense of not too much Isp -- you'll be famous! Unless NASA manages to bury your work for 30 years like they did with the current Ion engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back