Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advancements From 2007 to 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2004
US
Greetings all.

I have (2) questions.

1) Is SW2011 much different from the SW2007 Office product?

2) What potential problems would I run into installing SW2007 on a newer machine with a Quad Core and 64 bit Windows 7 OS?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any issues you run into will be drivers for older peripherals, like printers on the 64 bit OS. Otherwise it is the UI as Eltron pointed out.

Ferris - I also have gone from ver7 to ver11. But I bought a new machine (64 bit Win7) for Sworks only. I still have ver7 on a XP op sys machine.As soon as I am completely secure with my level of comfort with ver11, Solid works 7 will be gone. 11 seems to be easier to work, so far. Art L

It iterate the comments of others, there are substantial differences. Most of the changes occured in 2008 version. It's some of the bigger interface items you might notice.

1. The command manager is now a tabulated ribbon.
2. The "S" key now brings up quick access menu at your mouse cursor location.
3. Scoll bars are turned off (you can turn them back on).
4. Design tables are now accessable on the configuration tab of the propertymanager.

There are likely literally 100 major differences, so check out the What's New at Ricky's website (as mentioned by another commenter).

As far as trying to run SolidWorks 2007 on a 64-bit Win7 system. You should be able to in capability mode (a Win7 option). But know that you will still be limited to just 2GB of memory. If you have large assemblies, my recommendation is to upgrade.

Matt Lorono, CSWP
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources & SolidWorks Legion
Follow me on Twitter

Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like SW2011 might be very similar to Inventor 2011? Any of you have experience with both?

Inventor and SolidWorks are both sketched based, 3D parametric solid modeling programs. Both are relatively easy to use. That is it for similarity.

Install for yourself and test drive to see which is right for you.

Anna Wood
Xeon W3680, Nvidia Quadro 4000, 12 Gb RAM, WD Velociraptor, Dell U3011 Monitor
SW2011 SP1, Windows 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back