Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advantage of SE exam over the PE exam w/ Structural Depth 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkinjc

Structural
Jul 21, 2009
US
I am sitting for the PE exam this October, and I am going through the great debate over taking the SE1 or the Civil PE w/ Structural Afternoon. I currently work out of Texas designing concrete formwork and other construction materials, and I don't think they distinguish between someone with an SE1 or PE. With the new SE exam format coming next October (2 day test), is there a reason I should take the SE1? Does taking the SE1 give me any advantage over the PE? I figured that if I need to get my structural engineering license I will have to take the 2 day test anyways.

Any advice or recommendations will help.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was under the impression that you have to pass the SE I prior to being able to sit for the SE II...but I may be wrong.

neffers

"I was under the impression that you have to pass the SE I prior to being able to sit for the SE II...but I may be wrong." neffers

this varies from state to state. some do some dont

I passed the STR I and II before. I just took the Civil-Str PE exam last april,09. I hate civil and previously took the STR-I to get my initial license because I wanted nothing to do with civil-stuff. I did not study any civil, and had not seen any of it since I was in school years ago. I bought the Civil study manual and used it to answer morning civil questions. I totally kicked ass in the afternoon's all structural session. I answered alot more civil questions than I thought I would. I left the exam thinking I passed and I did. Just to reinforce those still on the fence about taking the STR-I or Civil-STR. I was very surprised how easy an exam it was. Personally I think they should not offer that Civil-Str exam, and just use the sructural exams. The exam is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back