Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Advice for a Soldier 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdas04

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
US
My son is a soldier with the U.S. Army in Iraq and he is starting to think that being shot at is way less fun than he had expected. He wants to go into some Engineering field when his enlistment is up, but he really doesn't want to follow his old man into Oil & Gas.

He's leaning towards Mechanical Engineering and making stuff. Does anyone have any advice on industries that don't suck?

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

He's 19 and just starting to grow out of the "Hire a teenager while he still knows everything" stage. He's not certain that the Infantry was really the smartest thing he ever did, but to be a Wing Wiper, or (god forbid) a Squid like his old man is just beyond the Pale. I've told him to persue some of the Army ROTC programs, and I think he will when he gets back on home soil.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

As engineering opportunities go, the navy has the best available (as impartial as an ex-nuc can be). However, it is exceptionally hard on young families.

Has your son expressed interest in any particular disciplines?

Another valuable military skill: how to swim through a sea of paperwork and still get some meaningful work done. This would translate well to any number of industries.

Yes,
Machine tool technology! Either the mechanical engineering or eletrical engineering side of it. Good interesting field. This is not a well known or overly populated field. He could either get into the field service side which is very technical and well paid. Or he can get into the design side, either mechanical or electrical/electronic.
Good engineers, be it design or field service, are rare and hard to find.

Good Luck,
X Soldier
Meathed

Since he is in the millitary, the government (civil service) will definately hire him, no concerns about which field either.
Zdas04, I used to work in the oil fields(FSE) in WY (all over) and some of the CBM stuff, if you need any help let me know I still live in the area and have plenty of contacts.

Does oil and gas really suck that much? I just got a job at a refinery as a reliability engineer, so I hope it is OK....

I was in the military too (Captain, US Army). One advantage your son will have over his peers when he completes his term of service (should he decide to get out) is that his military service will be valued by companies looking for technical talent WITH LEADERSHIP ABILITY.

He just has to search for the right companies that are looking for it. I wasted my time interviewing with dozens of companies that could not have cared less about my military service/leadership ability-they were mostly interested in technical experience, which unfortunately, my job in the Army did not afford me. It was almost better that I did not mention my military service to them-it confused them more than anything. On the other hand, there were a few companies-large ones for the most part-that were primarily attracted to my leadership ability-my engineering education was just icing on the cake.
It is important that your son focuses solely on these companies that will take his military training into account
so he does not waste his time and become frustrated (like I did!)

By the way:
1. The reserve component is a GREAT networking tool for service members that are getting off of active duty and are looking for civilian employment.
2. Believe it or not, there are positions for engineers (mechanical, electrical, civil, etc...) in the military. Most of those jobs are with the Navy or the Air Force. The Army and Marines do have a few openings though.

You didn't say if he wanted to make money or do something he likes. If he wants to make money he should rob a bank, become a lawyer, an orthodontist or a politician (did i miss any?) but probably forget engineering.
But if he wants to make a reasonable living and enjoy doing something he likes, that's something else.
Tell me, does the USA still give GI Education grants to its ex-servicemen? Wise use of that will help. I know my father used his after WWII. A curious fact is that while the US Army invested 13 weeks training him as a cook it took only 8 weeks training for the parachute infantry (what was later the 509th)I expect, would hope, it was different for your son and the educational opportunities will be much better now.
Instrumentation (my own niche)has been mentioned. But beware, there are lots of guys with instrument and lots of guys who need them and they never meet up. It gives you an edge if you really know the industry you're going to serve, whatever you decide later is your niche. So perhaps a college degree then start work in the industry, move a round a lot to get exposure to different aspects of the business and look for the main chance. It might be instrumentation, it might be systems supply. Find a suitable niche and he could aim at seting up his own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back