Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice for new grad wanting to eventually be self employed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narfed

Computer
Aug 20, 2006
CA
Hi,
I have co-op experience doing computer software, hardware and project engineering. I planned my co-op that way so I could figure out what field of engineering I prefer.

I think I would like to eventually form my own company and design solutions for customers. What type of solutions will depend on what experience I have. I realize that I will need to build up to this by following a certain career path to get the right experience but I'm not really sure where to start.

My prior experience didn't lead me to believe any of those fields would help me develop the skills I would need. Developing software or hardware always seemed to be for a module of a product. Even the managers at the end of their career paths were still looking at modules for a piece of something. Project engineering was a lot of organizing and schedualing and as helpful as that will be, I didn't see any potential to learn product design from that field. My knowledge is extremely limited so please shed some light here if you think i'm in the dark.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what kind of jobs that I could start a career in and what career opertunities to look for that would help me reach my goals?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I started out of college with a plan. I started working for a large company (doing system development/project management coincidentally). My goal was at age 50 I would go out on my own. For the 23 years I worked for that company (I spent a while in the service prior to college) I worked toward my goal. I joined technical societies and published papers for their conferences. I searched out the best projects (amazing how often bringing a good project to your boss can be a way to manage the best projects) with the most difficult technical aspects and toughest deadlines. When I had learned all I was going to learn (not all there was to learn, but people have limitations) from systems development, I got my masters in ME and started working as an ME on tough projects. Got my FE and PE. Facilitated internal company technical networks. More papers for the SPE. Got active in SPE Section management.

Two weeks after I turned 50 I started my company with a very strong resume and hundreds of industry contacts. The company has never had a quarter that was not profitable.

I don't know if my path of a 20+ year apprentiship would work for anyone else, but even if you were to do the Readers Digest Condensed version of my path you would be in pretty good shape to start. One key is establishing yourself as someone worth hiring and that takes time. Another is becoming known to potential clients, that also takes time.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

I'd like to start a business somehow related to engineering and computers hopefully in my early 30s...or sooner.
I'm gainfully employed right now but I'd like to be my own boss and work doing something I really feel close to. And have the freedom to do what I want when I want to. Hopefully it will be succesful enough to allow me to have a lot of spare time to pursue any leisure activities my whims direct me towards. Otherwise, what's the point? :)

For now, I started my own website and work at improving it and bringing visitors in.

If you goal is to go out on your own, you have a bit of time to decide on the experience core.

One thing you should be doing is saving your money to start or buy this business.

So this is my advice.... SAVE your money.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back