Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advice On Manufacturer Of Fuel Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRBKDW

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2003
US
I have an application where I need to specify a pump to move approximately 6 to 10 gpm of diesel fuel from a commercial building basement to a 15th floor penthouse where the building's generators are located. One of the pumps needs to run off of AC power and the other pump will ideally run off of DC power. Can anyone recommend good manufacturers of pumps that would be suitable for this application. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a good application for a gear or vane type pump.
There are many good brands around, but you may be better off basing your selection on local service support and parts availability.

Give the local diesel fired boiler servicing company a call.
If the brand they suggest is unfamiliar to you, then a posting here could help.

Cheers

Steve

Just designed one of these for the local train co

We used a rotary vane pump. We used Ebsray pumps, but there are different options, talk to your local pump supplier. Ensure that the pump and the piping system and valves etc are not made from copper alloys or cast iron. Copper can cause precipitates in diesel and cast iron may shatter if cooled by water during a fire.

Remember that diesel is a combustible fluid, not flammable, but a properly designed piping system should be installed so that jets of diesel are not possible. You may wish to consider double mechanical seals for the service. We have treated the whole system has flammable and chosen Ex'd' rated motors and instruments, but this is not done by every one. Also consider the containment of the pipework leaking back from the 15 stories of pipework.

I am guessing also that there are boilers / water heaters in the same rooms that may increase the ambient temperature as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back