Advice Please: New design project thats painfully dull 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroNucDef

Aerospace
May 29, 2009
GB
Hi all,

Is there any easy way to tell your manager that you find the design project you are working on extremely mind numbingly boring and you want off the project asap.

I started a new project two weeks ago and the task I have been given has sucked most of my creativity out of me. All my enthusiasm has gone for this project, and I feel very tired and drained all day. And it's giving me migraines.
Most of the time I very upbeat and positive, enjoy going to work, love engineering, and can't wait to solve a problem. But this project, which is scheduled to last about two years has me worried that it will have a lasting negative effect on me, for instance it will probably make me leave engineering.

Because the project is only two weeks old, I'm hoping that my manager won't be to angry if I ask for reassignment.

Sorry for moaning about my work.

Yours

AeroNucDef

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TGS4

I am in sympathy with the OP.

Does anyone notice the hostility directed toward the way the OP 'feels' about his job in 'some' of the replies??

This is redirected self hatred or emotional immaturity.

My message to the OP.

Your employer may likely not understand or appreciate your need for more interesting work, and you risk your relationship with them by bringing it up directly.

I would let them know in subtle ways that it is not an interesting assignment for you but that you are dedicated to doing what is asked and then decide to either tough it out or start looking elsewhere.

The Tick,
Can you spread a bit of that love over here?[bigcheeks]
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

"Self hatred"? Wow! Didn't know psychologists trolled the engineering forums.

"Emotional immaturity"?? Really? OK, some of the guys have been having some fun. But anybody that posts the original complaint surely had to expect that, especially after having been in industry as long as he has.

Frankly, I think the original post reflected "emotional immaturity" a lot more than the replies have. I say grow a pair, be thankful for the job you have. Making it interesting is not in your boss' job description. That part is up to you. And you can do it if you want to bad enough. Do the job better and quicker than anyone else has. Find an innovation to make it easier for the next guy to do it. You do that well enough and you will be noticed. And if you aren't noticed, and you don't feel there is a chance you will be, put your feet to work instead of your mouth and find other opportunities.

Don't forget - the purpose of ALL jobs (at least those in private enterprise) is to create a profit for the owners. It isn't to provide for your entertainment, or to put a roof over your head, or to enhance your self-image, or anything else. Without a profit, none of that other stuff is even possible. That is all a by-product of the profit.

I s'pose my response could categorize me as a butthole. Perhaps I am a butthole. Perhaps I noted some things and saw a bit of humor. For some, it may be sarcasm. For me, it was irony and I found it entertaining.

As a person in business, the work is not always fantastically interesting. Days go by with no activity at all. It's quite boring. He considers leaving engineering, after 17 years, because he has a project that's boring but he does have something to do, which is better than nothing to do.

So far on my own, the pay has been abysmal as I've got 99% negative cash flow. If he cannot take the hardships of a dull project, how will he take the hardships of no pay? It is continual work to maintain a good attitude in the face of such circumstances.

He considers leaving engineering because of a dull project. I considered leaving engineering after 16 years and a load of crap that would have buried a lot of people. I've seen grown men cry under less pressure than I've had. I was completely listless for 1.5 months after I made a decision to resign and possibly leave engineering. I struggled for months prior to that point. After I resigned, I didn't do much of anything but sit in front of the TV and not think. There was no joy and no interest beyond what I saw on TV and I cannot remember one thing I watched.

Consequently, I find his situation a bit humorous. There was no ill intent behind my post. I'm sorry anyone would have taken it as such.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

So what happened, did you get a new project? What is this one, hope its more fun!

I did the same thing, didnt want to work on a project. By boss just had me sit around for two weeks till another project came in that I wanted to do. I was able to come and go as I please too. Gonna try it again soon!

I had a difficult customer that called me a butthole the first time we met. I reminded him that the title is "Mr. Butthole".

The same honorific should also be provided for architects. As one architect friend commented, "I must have a really nice butt, because every time I walk out of a meeting, everybody says 'What an azzhole'".

Don't get me started on how pharmacies jack me around on my testosterone shots! ;-)

That is a joke, too. Some will read that and think, "Oh no! She's gone the way of Chaz Bono!" I enjoy being a female and have no problems being one or remaining one. :) Why would I want to be a man and limit myself? :-D

SNORGY, thank you very much for the endorsement. Backatcha', Brother! :)

I'm curious about what he did, too. He must have gotten more interesting work...

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

AeroNucDef,

Sorry I'm late on this thread but, I've been there and I'm sure a lot others have too. A few years back our team had to write the specifications for a huge project. It took over a year. No design work, no innovative new ideas, just write, write, write. At first, like you I felt, "oh my career is dead." Every day I'd put on the clerk hat and say to myself, "OK, by 10am I'll have the next section on corrosion (or whatever) finished, then I'll start the section on material requirements. A week would go by, then a month, then it was 2005 and we were done. I left and went to a new company and started right away on a design project. They were impressed that I helped plan that project. I never lost my design skills and exceeded the new bosses expectations. I did learn a lot about professional spec writing which comes in handy every now and then. Don't want to do it again, but I would.

In short, you will not loose your skills. Don't worry. Do it for a year and you'll be a better man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back