Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

advise on career direction(Construction) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiralMan

Specifier/Regulator
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hello
I am at a point of my life that I am asking myself where to go from here. I have been working for a govt agency for the last 10 years as a constrcution administrator. The work is predictable and there is not much engineering in it. In fact I never worked in a design setting. All my work was and is in field inspection and management. I have good people skills and also have my P.E. I can advance if I stay with the govt. agency and perhaps stay there utill retirement.

Now, as I am pushing my late forties I am asking myself is that it? I feel that I need a new challenge and a new direction. I am thinking of pursuing PMI certificate. However, after looking closley into It it appears that it is geared toward non-construction industry, but doable. I am also thinking about working in the Middleast.

Any thoughts?

ChiralMan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm pretty jaded as evidenced by some of my other posts and I'd *love* to have a government job. My advice is stay put and stimulate yourself through hobbies and education.

Don't mess with your livelihood and especially that government pension... unlikely you'll get another job with a pension and 401k's are a hollow substitute.

I too worked the first 15 years in government as a construction administrator. Luckily I had some engineering content in my work.

When the government agency I worked for was closed in a downsizing I entered the public sector. The biggest drawback I had (and 11 years later still have to some degree) is overcoming the perception that as a government worker I could not cut it in the private sector.

If you are thinking of switching do it now before you are so painted with the government worker brush that you are unemployable in the private sector.

You will lose in security but if you are good enough and lucky enough the rewards are much greater in private work, especially if you go out on your own.

If you are making the switch then just do it. Don’t look for more credentials because that’s government thinking, private sector thinking is what have you done, not what tests have you passed. The additional credentials are nice but not as nice as a track record of actually being responsible for something and delivering. Be prepared for a cut in pay and status until you have proved yourself.

If you do not want to make the switch then look for fulfillment outside of work, extra courses, hobbies, etc.

It’s sad when after 4 years university and only 10 years work you are looking at retirement. Do you really want to come to work every morning and say “Only 24 years 6 months and 14 days to retirement but who’s counting?” or would you rather come to work looking forward to the challenges and be able to look back on your accomplishments.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng wrote:

"It’s sad when after 4 years university and only 10 years work you are looking at retirement. "

From my message, please how did you reach the conclusion above?
I am on the contrary of the above thought, seeking a new challenge, a new direction, I am looking and searching on what it is.

I truley appreciate yours and others input.

Rick, how did you conclude from my post that I'm "looking at retirement" beyond simple long-term planning?

I would hope everybody's looking at retirement in the sense of goo financial planning. I said, don't easily give up that pension.

The main reason I would stay in gov't was given by RDK in a different post in which he says:

I’ve been an engineer for 26 years and moved 5 times, held 7 jobs, been laid off 3 times and spend most of the last ten years away from home. (That is counting the 10 years on my own as one job. If I counted projects the total would be over 20 jobs.)

My story is I've been an engineer for 10 years, held 5 jobs, been laid off 2 times and moved two times.

I'm sure many others can tell the same story. In contrary, most government people (the several I know, anyway) keep that same employer for their whole careers (if want to, anyway), work very limited OT (which is usually compensated) and ultimately draw pensions of 80% of their max earnings with medical bennies.

To me, stability is very important, as is long-term financial security. That is much more attainable in a gov't position than in the private sector.

If you're a bright and engaged person (of which your post is evidence) then you can certainly find things outside of work to challenge you and stimulate you your employer probably pays for ongoing education,too

The only I'd consider leaving a gov't position is if you've got a great job lined up with a big company in a position that isn't dependent on manufacturing and IT services being sent to China and India.

I worked 28 years with one company (numerous assignments) -- due to "business" decisions, I was one of several engineers laid off (the quotation marks are meant to indicate my lack of believing the stated reasons) -- I took retirement at 50 to preserve my medical benefits, but walked away w/ only 17% of my pension...
I was fortunate to be one to land a good job close to home -- others moved 1000's miles away or are still looking for work... although I do support the private sector (although not as vigorously as before), there are some areas best served by gov't and there are some benefits for working for them.. best wishes in your decisions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back