Advise on foundations and geotechnical Journals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mccoy

Geotechnical
Nov 9, 2000
IT
Hi all,
I'm just starting to recover from all the work related to retrofitting of my house, not over yet but definitely over the hump.
I'm feeling the need to catch up on thechnical literature. I know it has been already discussed, but it was years ago maybe.
Fields: geotechnical engineering, foundation engineering, earthquake geotechnical engineering.

If you were given free registration to just 5 journals in these fields, which ones would you choose?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

McCoy - I looked around the internet to see what is available. Well, here's one way to investigate... a "search engine" that ranks technical journals according to various criteria. It covers 292 journals, worldwide, on "Geotechnical". Searches through "Civil and Structural Engineering" and "Earth Science" have interesting results, too.

Scimago Journal & Country Rank

[idea]
[r2d2]

SRE, thanks for the very useful reference.

I didn't see the criteria used for assigning ranks, but some of the journals I thought to be the best sure appear in the top ranks. For example, geotechnique has always appeared to me like including very good practical articles and it ranks third. I'm a little surpirsed by 'geotextiles and membranes' ranking first. Also, good to know that Earthquake engineering and soil dynamics ranks second. I'm definitely starting from here to select my choice.

A lot of the journals that, in the "old" days were the cream of the crop - Geotechnique, ASCE's GT Journal, Cdn Fdn Journal - then Ground Engineering - all have gone too far professorial . . . I seldom see articles that pique the interest like the articles from the 1960s . . . I'll have a look at SRE's list but as you can tell, I like more practical journals/magazines. DFI is a good magazine, still, although, it too is becoming advertisements for contractors and engineers rather than the articles.

That's right BigH, it is well known that academia has become a bit of a bakery, as we say in Italy, the more loaves/articles you produce, the more you gain. Quantity, not quality, too often has become the mantra.
Also, some are undoubtedly valuable but too far into scientific detail to be of immediate concern.
The main job really is to pick up those few articles which are of practical interest and use.

Pls advise if you can find into the list some journals which in your opinion are good and practical-oriented .

I knew there was one I was missing - a MUST READ is "Geo-Strata" put out by the ASCE Geotechnical group. They have excellent articles in the magazine. This latest issue covers Earthquakes and that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back