Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

advise on sorting machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello,
here is our problem.
Our company is looking for a machine that can sort all types of grains and some non food products like small plastic products and medicine pills. we need to sort all good pieces from bad at a high speed. also it doesnt have to take a lot of space in our lab room and productions rooms. it seems like if we cant find this type of machine in the USA. any advise where can we find good sorting machines. please

thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'm not sure about the grains....but, the rest of the items can be sorted in a vibrator bowl.
this tooled bowl will sort out the good from the bad, and may be able to be used for more that one product, but, these are really meant for a dedicated part, and it sounds like you have a multitude of "stuff" you want to sort.

I designed several types of product sorters in the medical and grain industries.
However I don't think that a single machine can do both. I guess it depends on the requirements.
In general products can be sorted by size/shape, material properties, weight and color. Integration of all four detection components in a single machine is expensive and I don't know of any application that would require it.
Please let me know if you know of any.

Antonio Reis
01 209-834-1900

Hi EngFarmer:
What property(s) are you trying to sort for? Color will require some sort of vision system, size could be done with screens, etc. Multiple properties could require multiple machines or passes.

A common grain sorting method is specific gravity. This is usually done on a air table. I have seen seeds sorted to as fine as .5lb per bushel. Clippart is a common brand. I know there are many others, they don't come to mind now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back