Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aeroacoustics in wind turbines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankas

Automotive
Oct 14, 2002
GR
How can the structural noise from a wind turbine with tubular base can be reduced?

Which one of the techniques is better? Welding or bolting the individual pieces of the base? Or, is there a way to make the base in one piece?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

i don't know exactly how your wind tunnel looks like, but i assumed it's big and that you can't have it on vibration isolators for stability reasons. I think that the only solution to reduce structure borne noise to other rooms is to mount the wind tunnel on a vibration isolated concrete slab. That can be a big job. Depending on the lower frequence you have to attenuate and how much isolation you need, one solution could be to lay the slab on a glass wool matt. But, there's no easy answer and a thorough analyse is required.

OkdB

Hi again,

I though about it and the vibration source could be just the fan. hence, it migth be necessary to isolate just the fan with a concrete base with spring isolators and a flexible copling to the wind tunnel.

OkdB

mankas- what do you mean by structural noise?

Do you mean vibration that is transmitted through the structure, that is turned into noise elsewhere? Or do you mean noise that is radiated by the structure itself?

It would be very helpful if you could identify the source and frequency of the noise as well.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back