Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aerodynamic Loading on a Cooling Tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridashaughn

Structural
Jul 9, 2014
US
I am trying to find some information on dynamic loading (fan) on a cooling tower structure . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

do you mean the delta p that the fan is creating ?

or the internal airflow ?

or the external wind loading ?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Wouldn't it be the generated thrust imposed on the mounting points; action -- reaction?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Yes, I just did not know the required variables needed. I am a young structural engineer, not aerodynamic. I have calculated thrust being F=(mass flow)(air velocity). My calculations provided a value with the units lb-ft/s^2, so I'm assuming I divide this by gravity to get lbm. The answer is coming up with a very small weight. On, another note, what exactly is the propeller efficiency coefficient. Would this be given by the manufacturer? Thank you for your help

Not my specialty, but I would have expected more like this:
You should be looking at an overturning moment, rather than a weight, I think, but, you never stated whether the fan force was acting vertically or horizontally. the equation in the cite is already in force, assuming units usage is correct. Division by g to get force is not correct.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Sorry about that. Yes the fan is mounted vertically, pulling air from below creating a thrust (Force) reacting at the contact points. The reason, I thought, to divide this thrust by gravity would be to get my value in weight, rather than force.

Man I am tired. I guess that would give me what I need. Dividing by gravity is going to give me a mass value. So this would be right. Thank you. How would I get the propeller efficiency coefficient? Thanks

It shouldn't matter much. Your mass flow should pretty much account for efficiency. I'm a bit surprised that this is a concern at all, given that the mass of the tower must be at least an order of magnitude, if not two, larger than the lift capacity of the fan itself. I would have thought that rotational torque or nutation from the fan would be a bigger concern.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

BTW, this probably should have been posted in the Heat Transfer, HVAC, or even plain Structural forums; there probably would have been a bigger response pool

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

i don't think you need propeller efficiency ... if you know the flow rate you can calc the pressure ... pressure*area = force

flow rate ... ft3/min ? ton/min ??

if ft3/min, well that is area*v (yes?) ... what you want is pressure*A = 1/2*rho*v2*A ... yes?

torque should affect the reactions as well ... some of the motor torque goes into the airflow (as swirl) but some is reacted by the fan supports.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I would think that the weight of the fan, motor and frame would far exceed the thrust created by the fan, so, I would be more inclined to calculate the support of said structure assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back