Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aesthetically pleasing NEMA 4 X boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

philzone1234

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2009
US
Hello,

I am still looking all over creation for an off the shelf(i.e. not custom) readily available die cast aluminum die cast box.

I have got some samples in from Hammond, pacific wireless, etc and they are all either too flimsy or art butt ugly.

I am looking to get something that has some aesthetics to it and can render some "brand" recognition. Anyone know a rep that makes die cast aluminum enclosures like this? It has to be a casted part.

Thanks,

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

philzone1234,

Brand recognition = custom

The Hammond stuff is ugly. Pomona makes some boxes that look sort of nice. Rose enclosures may have something.

Drawoh's rules of styling
[ol]
[li]If you want it to look good, it is going to cost more. You are using a more expensive fabrication process, more expensive materials and finishes, and/or you are compromising assembly and service access.[/li]
[li]Keep it simple. You are not an artist. You are not qualified to be crazy.[/li]
[li]Bad styling looks much worse than unstyled, functional.[/li]
[/ol]

Rule[ ]1 is the most important. You need to try out several approaches. Show your boss how good it will look and tell him the cost and risk of achieving it. Let management make a decision. Your marketing department might step in and surprise everyone.

Critter.gif
JHG

THanks,

I actually have a sample coming from Rose Bopla. I've been on Pomona's site too.

I am trying to get a quote from Hubbel Killark on their NEMA 4 box from the E3 catalog page. Does anyone know a good distrubutor in the south east that can supply one of these. The local rep i work with here is not getting back to me fast.

phil

We've used Bud a couple of times. They have a line of die-cast alum boxes with nice rounded corners and very clean lines. They come with all the screws and have a mounting ear option that makes mounting very easy.

One time I needed to punch a lot of fancy connector holes in the lid, so they allowed me to order the deep box without the cover. I then supplied my own flat sheet metal cover that just fastened onto the deep side of the box. That worked out fairly well.

See:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back