Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aftermarket Intakes for Modern Cars 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavaYkraine

Automotive
Jun 17, 2014
US
Hello to people who are TANGIBLY USEFUL to society! I have great admiration for engineers and in my next life will be one:)

I have a question to which I am not able to find an answer, and I have been searching for several years now, and actually have run out of words and key-phrases to input into a search engine. I hope someone could give me a comprehensive answer, or maybe point to a mildly technical articles (no books, my caliber is too small) that would point a way to my general comprehension of the subject.

Here it is: DO AFTERMARKET INTAKES ADD POWER TO A MODERN (2014+) CARS? Like from a more or less "reputable" aftermarket company for a 4 or 6 cylinder NA engine car from a major automaker: Chevrolet, Mazda, Toyota, etc.

As you can imagine the forums with blissfully ignorant are full of all sorts of rants, which to me resemble religious sects arguing who's "truth" is closest to god. The skeptic in me leans heavy towards "no they don't add any power", but I am really open-minded. I appreciate your time you took to post your opinions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always thought if an engineer presented actual evidence of some effect (not pie in the sky dreams), other engineers would say "Even if I do not understand the data myself, it was carefully collected without bias, and the numbers are beyond the statistical minimums for validation... must be valid." Maybe the convincing part is a little harder than I first imagined... [wink]

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Dan. I don't think anyone doubts your numbers. What I see is yet another one of those "Why do OEMs not give us the full power?" stories. Same answers too. Legislation, homologation & longevity. Plus a bit of branding. Once you've binned those basic requirements, much improvement in your chosen metric is possible. Ever wanted to be a Harley Davidson OE exhaust designer? Thought not.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back