Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aged metallurgy books 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

metman

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
Our great nephew has been accepted at Rolla School of Mines in Metallurgical Engineering. I went o-line to look for Physical Metallurgy for Engineers by Clark and Varney and while there saw Tool Steels by Roberts, Hamaker, and Jhonson - really cheap. So I bought those and 3 other books that have also served me well, i.e. Vol 1 & 2 8th Ed ASM Metals Handbook, and Vol 11 (Failure Analysis) 9th Ed.

When I mail these books to him, I intend to tell him that the info is still valid although later editions have been published but just have more info. Is this true or is it possible some older info has bee negated? 8th Edition of Metals Hdbk is circa 1962.

I would appreciate your comments.

Design for RELIABILITY, manufacturability, and maintainability

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I intend to tell him that the info is still valid although later editions have been published but just have more info. Is this true or is it possible some older info has bee negated?

The dated information is still valid, and is a good platform to learn from. As time/technology/research goes on subjects are added and current ones are updated.

I am in the process of unpacking from a move and I just unpacked my volumes of the 8th Ed as well as my copy of the 1948 Edition (7th Edition?). All very valuable, to me at least, since these were the books I learned with. Yes, the information is still valid, although some of the information (such that on open hearth cleanliness limits) has limited applicability. Much more of the information, far more, is directly applicable for today's students (and, aren't we all students?).

As far usefulness of older information, I highly recommend De Re Metallica by Georgius Agricola. Although written in the 16th century, it still contains valuable information and is very good reading for a student of metals (it was required reading in my undergraduate program). If your nephew has a Kindle, (or other e-reader), you can download it for free from Project Gutenburg.

Gaskell,Reedhill, Cullity ,Azaroff,Making Shaping Treating, are few other timeless gems, that are relevant to this day.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Trying to resist buying more books.
My suggestion is that when he (or any of us) find a book that is helpful, check the bibliography for its sources. And then try to buy some of them.
"on the shoulders of giants" we all stand

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

The 9th edition of the Failure Analysis volume is very valuable - it was organized based on components while we focused in the current volume more on mechanisms. I particularly find the section on bearings one of the best references out there. There are discussions on bringing out a component-based volume for failure analysis in a new editions.

I'd probably want more current Volumes 1 and 2 because of changes and expansions in alloy systems, but I constantly use my blue (and red) volumes of the Handbook for their microstructural atlases. The current (green) volume steers away from the atlas approach and as such is not as useful to me.

mrfailure,

A mining machinery company that I worked for had a copy of the 9th Ed Failure Analysis Volume. I had highlighted and marked it up so much that I intended to buy a copy for them and keep the marked up copy with my notes but alas I was too lazy and now I am retired and don't need it. While working for that company, I bought the book, Effect of Alloying Elements in Steel for one particular failure analysis. This helped me to determine an acceptable level of carbide segregation to sort thru 50 parts to see which ones were unacceptable and therefore would need re-heat treatment. We were able to save $400,000 worth of parts by re-heat treat. It was the inner race for a one million inch pound CV joint (underground coal mining machine). Dana Convel, the supplier, had specified heating between the lower critical and upper critical to stabilize before quench to obviate grinding the internal splines. This of course led to carbide segregation in grain boundaries.

Vol 1, 8th Ed I won in a metallography contest while in Jr college. I later bought Vol 2 (Heat Treating, Cleaning and Finishing) while working for Metallurgical Consultants, Inc writing heat treat process.

Books are great and at these prices for used books, how could I resist?

Thank you all for your interesting comments.

As your nephew works through Rolla remind him to talk to professors, you know like they were people.
Especially the older guys, and ask them what books have been helpful.
That is how I ended up with a list of books that I was seeking.
And remember that very few old technical books are digitized.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

"Trying to resist buying more books"

At least the paper ones, anyway. Doing a text search on a PDF is substantially easier and you can have the computer crank on it overnight if need be.

Additionally, PDFs just take up so little room; my current 2-TB external drive already holds thousands of books and tens of thousands of articles. If they were all paper, I'd need another house ;-)

I've migrated from my very first external drive that was 60 MB(!!!) to 2TB with only about a 3x volume increase; that's like owning a miniature TARDIS (it's bigger on the inside!)

Of course, there's the lack of old book smell...

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

No doubt PDF or electronic books (such as the ASM Handbooks On-Line) have an enormous form factor and ease of search advantage. However, there are many times where being able to flip through the pages to go to possible related subjects that really aid in knowledge. I might not touch the electronic reference until I absolutely need to, but I will browse the physical book.

Metman,

Did you buy the 3rd edition of [italic]Tool Steels[/italic]? If so, then you're good. The only edition of that book I don't recommend is the 5th.

Maui

Maui,

I am pretty sure it is the 3rd. Either it or the Clark and Varney are the 3rd. What's up with the 5th Ed?

They left a LOT of useful information out of the 5th edition that is still contained in the earlier editions. And the 5th was not written very well in my opinion. It was tough going to slog through some of those chapters, and I like reading this stuff. The 4th edition is my personal favorite.

Maui,
Thanks for the heads up. I really like the alloy comparative charts in Tool Steels and the tempering charts and everything else -- but the alloy comparative charts are elegant.

I will recommend an antique ; Brick & Phillips , Structure and properties. Some alloys are obsolete, but it stresses principles and I referred to it for years. If you can find one , lots of practical info in I- T Diagrams by USSteel, very useful in the real world. And speaking of the real world an ASTM Standards , like Vol 01.01 Pipe- obsolete is OK. To see what a spec. looks like, many questions on this board could be answered by reading the right spec. ( Full disclosure ,I was the company rep on A-1 ).

blacksmith, I still have one and have referred to it several times over 30 years. Another classic book "Diffusion in Solids"by Paul Shewmon. I just checked on Amazon a few used copies are on offer.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back