Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Agitated Asphalt Tank Level gauge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd87vr

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2002
US
Anyone have experience with level gauges used in agitated tanks of asphalt up to 400F? looking for alternatives to load cells(expensive plumbing)and full depth RF capacitance antenna types(not good for taller tanks). need to sense level within 1-3". need dependable 4-20 output for plc to control various tasks during fill and empty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't heard anything about ultrasonics. Recently I'm getting positve feedback on radar gauges. the problem is usually one of 2 things, a) can't handle the temp or b) the asphalt build up causes the gauge to misread. I think ultrasonics works on a relatively quiet surface and it needs to stay cool(er). What's your experience?

The temp may be an issue. The one we use is only good to 70C. The agitation should not be much of a problem if the sensor is being read from a control that can average the reading over some period of time (seconds). The build-up could certainly be a problem over time and would have to be cleaned periodically.
I have been looking for a similar sensor for tank level sensors for epoxy machines (large tanks) and for melted material. I have been told that radar or RF is the way to go. Have you found any suppliers of the radar gauges? Care to tell me who? What about the RF, who would you recommend for those types(are tanks are about 10 feet tall, temp is up to 500F)?

I recently sent an RFQ to Saab-Rosemount regarding their Radar gauge for asphalt service. One of our customers told us to quote that brand of level control for their use. That tells me they have had positive experiences.We are currently using GLI rf sensors. However because of their recent "restructuring-confused state of affairs" situation I would probably go to another brand like DrexelBrook.

Fairclough
Do you have any details on the example you refer to?
Tank size, dia? ht? temp? quiet surface? agitation? mild? violent? distance from side wall?
We design mixing systems consisting of 1000-4000 gal vessels for asphalt modification. The agitation is quite severe. lots of splashing. We have had success with the load cell mtd tanks but as you can imagine it complicates everything else. Any experience with radar in mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back