Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Agitator for Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuady

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2002
ID
I have some problem to calculate the agitating system on my tank. I already known if the agitator position on top of tank, but I didn't know if it position on side of tank. How to calculate motor power req'd, size of shaft and everything that relation with the agitating system.
Who will help me to solve my problem?

Thanks

Fuady

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank's for your rbcoulter comment's. Can you give me information where I can find that charts/programs?
May be you can give me web site or title of books that explain it.

thanks

Fuady

Thank's for BobPe suggestion's. From my reference that If we will design the agitating system, we have to use a spesific chart/graphic for each agitating type. I already have some charts/graphics for agitating system that have position on top not on side of tank. So if I use chart for top agitating system, the value of motor power and diameter of blade is impossible.

Maybe you have some another suggestion to solve this problem.

Thanks

Fuady

Fuady:

Why is it impossible? I think I am missing something, could you provide us more information. What is the tank you are mixing a CFSTR or somethng else?

BobPE

Thanks for BobPE. The description for my problems is :

I will design agitating system on insulation storage tank with demension ID 3400 mm and 5400 height. The tank have 2.5" pipe steam heater on 300 mm elevation from bottom plate. It use saturated steam with 7 bar pressure. The agitator will be located on side of tank. Fluid content is Recover Oil. Temperature input content 43 degree celcius, Specifig Gravity 0.9, Viscocity 9 cP. The creteria the system is the content shall be reach 70 degree celcius on a half of tank capacity on 8 hours operation.

I will be appreciated for your help.

Thanks

Fuady

Maybe I can pick up on something else in his post. Is the 2.5-in pipe heat exchanger direct injection heating or indirect? 7-bar sounds high to me for a heating application. Can anybody comment?

Carl

I downloaded the spreadsheet noted by MJCronin from Sharpe and found that it apparently does not consider viscosity in the Hosepower calculation. I changed the viscosity values from 1 to 1000000 and it did not change the horsepower.

Be careful!

Thanks for all of your comment's. I am agree with trihydrate that spreadsheet from Sharpe is not correct. I had check from another reference that the some calculation on spreadsheet is not correct.

For leelaphani & isofuncurves, I appreciated for your comments, but if both of you are doubt about the pressure, it make me confussed. Becuase my design referred from the same tank on site, but my tank have more capacity 10 m3 from existing. The existing tank never get problem almost 5 years. The steam heating pressure on the existing tank is 6-7 bars. So maybe you have any comments for this?

For Shahin71, If you don't mind, can show me where I can get the charts or diagrams for that case. I really need it to solve my problem.

Thanks

Fuady

Fuady,
Agitation and fluid motion is a very complex subject. There is a lot of publication about it, and respected companys investing in research & development. NJIT ( has some very good publications. There are also computer programs to do projects on agitators, including calculation of the shaft; type and position of impellers, power, speed, etc... Is easier than do all by hand. ( ( ( ( You have good sources of research here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back