Status
Not open for further replies.

ekt

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2005
US
Agricultural Water Chiller

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I may need some help on finding best unit for an unusual agricultural cooling application here at The NY Botanical Garden:
I will start with the medium to be cooled:
We have a selection of some specific plants that require pretty cool and constant ambient temp. In addition too constant air temp requirements the roots of these plants must be kept cool at all times as well, so they can survive and grow to the demand. Now what we are trying to achieve exactly is the second part the ROOTS. We must control the root/soil temp. So we must have some type of radiant type cooling effect with a liquid chiller, pump and piping to circulate the water through the soil with the following spec:
1. Run 3/4 inch PVC or Black Polly pipe approximately 5-6 inches under gravel/soil.
2. Approximately 400ft total length of underground piping required.
3. Has to be an air-cooled type condenser.
4. A chiller with self integrated pump to circulate a closed chilled water loop capable of maintaining around or below 45F water at all times.

Based on my preliminary measurements and specs can someone please help me find a unit that would be able to achieve the above requirements and if so what size of a chiller I would need to handle the load.
Thank you all for your time,
ETK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, without a lot more information I could not give you exact size of your chiller. I'd need to know flowrates, or heat gains....basically alot more about your project:

Internal temp, desired soil temp, location, windows, solar exposures, building construction....

From your description (3/4" pipe) I would assume a fairly low load though, under 5 tons.

As far as manufacturers, there are many. Once place to start might be Carrier.

They have a line of packaged chillers (Aquasnap) that 'may' fit your application.

You can also try McQuay, York or Trane. I'm sure that the application engineers with any of these companies would be happy to help.

If you are looking for a completely packaged unit, that all you have to do is hookup power and water pipes, you need to look at a process chiller. Carrier Aquasnap as Chris mentioned is a good chiller for the price, but the smallest is 10 tons.

Process chiller guys make totally packaged systems as low as 1/4 tons and less.

I also agree with Chris on the ability (inability) to size your system with the given info.

Sounds like a neat project though!

Call Gene Goodman or Ted Kuklis @ KMA sales in Dover NJ. They cover your area and have been selling process chillers forever and have seen darn near everything.

Good Luck!

Clyde

Hi Chris/Clyde,
Thanks both of you for that quick response. I did gather some more info and I hope with this we’ll be able to get closer on sizing the unit properly;

Unconditioned (normal) soil temp: 60F
Desired soil temp: 45-50F
Max ambient air temp: 75F
¾ of an inch pipe diameter
400 ft of total pipe length.

Housing would be of glass construction (glasshouse), I would say with al lot of solar exposure. It should be noted though that, the greenhouse it self would be air-conditioned at all times with air temp not to exceed 75F.

Thank you all,
ETK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back