Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air Bag Explosion 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was hoping that someone was going to bring this one up.

Its a bit of a catch 22 the last company that got caught for this was bankrupt before the day was out when they got forced to recall.

There was nothing stopping you... we appreciate your comments.

It appears the problem is blockage of the 'port' by manufacturing process... so they say. It would be interesting if the plant management is charged with negligent homicide, in the event there is another failure.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I couldn't work out if it was purely a USA issue or the rest of the world as well.

Or for that matter what cars are fitted with them.

The Japanese maker that was the feature of the last one doesn't get a mention this side of the pond I could find.

The article mentioned two very different causes of failure. In one paragraph they blamed it on welding slag blocking the port. In another paragraph they mentioned moisture causing the propellant to swell leading to a higher rate of gas generation.

If the weld is automated the problem would have been repeated on a large number of units.

How is the propellant protected from moisture?

Yes, in the US, generally speaking, your chances of survival and eventual procreation are somewhat decoupled from your intelligence (compared with Evolution overall).

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

I think the 67 million is just in the US. Of that number about 10 million owners have not responded to the recall. Roulette, not in Russia this time.

3 million vehicles recalled in Australia, but I think they have all been rectified.

"At least a dozen automakers have the allegedly faulty inflators in use, including Volkswagen, Ford, BMW and GM, NHTSA said." <-- is there a list of affected vehicles yet or do we wait until a letter shows up in the mail? (or checking for recalls online everyday?)

TugboatEng said:
The lawyers pocket 1/3, the company is immune from further litigation, and we get pennies.

Usually, but every once in a while it works out. I bought a used, diesel Jetta for $9k, drove it for 4 years, and then VW bought it back from me...buy back + restitution was $12k. I liked the car, but there were other issues (who permanently seals a replaceable filter that will need service in with a 'lifetime' part that costs $3600 + labor to completely remove the engine?) and I was happy with the payment.

Society has become risk averse. Now anything less that 100% reliability is considered failure by many.
Lou Scannon said:
your chances of survival and eventual procreation are somewhat decoupled from your intelligence
[bigsmile]

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Or the comment that evolution fails when stupidity is no longer fatal.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Anything to do with air bag inflators, is a prime example of engineering failure in the extreme.
It boggles the mind that anyone would design a pressure vessel, that is made out of thin almost tin can like material, that is installed inches away from someones face.
And on top of that have no over pressure safety valve or device, to bleed off any excessive pressure.
With these dangerous so called safety devices in all cars now, it is a roll of the dice, if you will be alive or have eye sight at the end of your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back