Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air Bag Explosion 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seat belts don't help in off-axis and side impact collisions.

The detonations I saw from using ammonium nitrate seemed to involve degraded material leading to plugging of the exhaust ports and over pressurizing the cylinder, turning it into a tiny pipe bomb.

There needs to be a somewhat thicker casing and a groove that allows the cylinder to peel open rather then rupturing as shrapnel. That would add a few cents to the cost for the additional material and extra time putting in the vent holes.

Obviously not something the makers of such want to do.

Build them proper and use the old proven propellant. Its the cost cutting propellant that started the whole problem.
Airbags will not prevent any sort of crushing impact, that is in all the literature.
Proper restraints and proper passenger compartment construction.
Race cars crash at very high speeds, not one is equipped with an airbag.

Race cars also have custom form bucket seats, 5 and 6 point harnesses, flame suits, full helmets, and hans devices.
Lets just throw all of that in production cars. Airbag problem solved and finally hitting that light pole at 70mph wont be too bad.

My new car has 7 of the things in it and pyro tensioners on the seat belts.

The issue from what I can tell about the USA airbags is they have to react faster and with more gas than the seatbelt airbag combo systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back