Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

air distribution trough holed duct 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pardal

Automotive
Oct 17, 2001
AR

Hi all , I desire to calc how to distribute holes on a duct
so I can manage a given flow.

This is the task.

A 300 mm diameter 17000 mm length duct is to be perforated to handle 24 m3/minute of air, avaiable static pressure is 25 mm.

The duct will be at 3 meter hight , the area to be cooled is at 1,2 mt from floor.

The holes will be located at the 4 to 8 hour pattern.
Hope I make it clear , but if needed I can give more data on request.

Thanks in advance

Pardal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In designing cooling air distribution ducting for two large industrial buildings where cooling was critical to the process (investment casting), we used prefabricated coated nylon cloth ducting approximately 1 m in diameter x 30 m long. The air exit holes (each approx. 12 cm in diameter) were already cut into the cloth duct at approximately the 4 & 8 o'clock positions and spaced about 40 cm cc.

The ratio of airflow to duct diameter was such that the distribution duct acted as a plenum thereby providing almost unifrom internal pressure along the entire length of the cloth duct. The ducting was supported on small steel cables installed across the building.

As I remember (15 yrs ago !) The DX fan/coil units were arranged along both sides of the building and each suplied two of the cloth ducts. The angle between each of the ducts was maybe 25/30 degrees. Total cooling load was perhaps 150 tons.

This cloth duct system was very inexpensise and provided very uniform air distribution. Sorry, that I can't remember any sources of supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back