Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

air exchange rate - residential and industrial

Status
Not open for further replies.

airexchange

Specifier/Regulator
Nov 7, 2006
US
I am new to this, so assistance most appreciated. I believe that typical air exchange rates are 0.5 to 1.5 per hour. I want to increase the ventilation for hazardous substances purposes (someone, a homeowner or a worker in a home, using/applying a product that requires ventilation). I am trying to determine if I can increase the air exchnage rate by using extra ventilation such as fans. I have read that using ventilation hoods could increase it as high as 6 per hour. interested in this for residences and industrial setting. so here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to determine if fans be used to increase air exchange rate? If so, can one determine how much a fan can increase air exchange rate?

2. what is the maximum air exchange rate for a residence? is there a standard?

3. what is the maximum air exchange rate for an industrial setting? is there a standard?

thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Air exchange rates aren't really used unless you're looking for dilution ventilation , like in a laboratory.

Standard ventilation rates usually involve a per person and a per area component.

If you're looking to specifically remove a contaminent a hood is an excellent idea.

There are no maximum air exchange rates, there are minimum recommended rates. The minimum is usually used due to the high cost of conditioning outdoor air.

Air change rate per hour (ACH) is determined by the Amount of Air exhausted and Volume of the room.

For example, What is the ACH of my room (10'x10'x10') using an existing exhaust fan rated at 200 CFM?

ACH = (CFM x 60) / Vol of Room

ACH = 200 x 60 / 1000

ACH = 12

Most standards list MINIMUM ventilation requirements. As long as you meet or exceed them...you are okay.

Just for reference, if you walked into a public restroom that was designed for 4 ACH...you would walk out holding your nose!!! Although the minimum required ACH rate for restrooms is 4, we AWAYS design for 10-15 ACH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back