Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Air Handler Unit Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

eigenk

Electrical
Sep 11, 2001
US
Our hospital is installing a new Air Handler unit and duct work in our attic. I've asked the project coordinator for the hospital, the installer and the A/E what are the points of Risk and what are the key quality control issues we should keep an eye on during the install to ensure the job be done well and problem free. I've gotten no answers.
Why does it seem like I'm barking up the wrong tree with the questions. I'm thinking if this group can't answer the question there's nobody driving the bus??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Project Coordinator, the A/E are responsible for the QA. Did you read the spec book thoroughly? Go over the prints thoroughly? Find any specific errors? Otherwise why insinuate to them that they may need oversight.

You could, ask that the Test and Balance be done by owner..or if that is too late..simply ask if the Test and Balance people will keep you updated on the performance of the HVAC system, and provide you with the final report..if you are in a position of responsibility for the project that is.(you did'nt say).

The engineer should have written a installation and performance specification. The engineer should also have requested that the system be started up and balanced by a third party. This is to leave the enginner and installer out of it (the actual performance verification) since they obviously have a vested interest in having done their jobs correctly.

Attic systems can have some quirky problems that relate to the transmission of noise and vibration. Is it very important that the system be quiet? If so, you may want to consult with an accoustical engineer because noise and vibration problems are very difficult to resolve after the fact.

I can offer these tips to help prevent the transmission of vibration. You want to resiliently mount the suspended air handler with a least three points of support across the bottom of the cabinet at the front, centre, and rear. You want to use flexible duct connections on the supply and return ducts. You want to isolate the refrigeration lineset and condensate drain with anti-vibration hangers and, of course, the electrical conduit should be flexible material the last few feet. The unit should be mounted at least 3 feet away from walls or ceiling to prevent "close coupling" in which the cabinet vibrations are transmitted through the air to nearby structures. Install the unit so that it can be easily serviced, your mechanics will love you for it. I hope this information is of some use.

How big is the attic & the unit?
Do you require a walk path?
Service lights (jelly jar type) near the unit and along the walk path. Exit path marked?
GFIC outlet near unit for service work.
ID Tag on unit.
Name plate information where you can read it.
Insulated condensate piping. Labeled?

These are a few things to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back