Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Air Lift Pump Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOUNGGUN

Civil/Environmental
Feb 20, 2001
US
I have a situation where it it agvantageous to have an air lift inclined at (Approximately) 60 degrees from horizontal.

The scenario is located in a wastewater clarifier, domestic sludge. In leu of cross bracing the tank, I was wondering how air lift pumps will perform at 30 degrees off vertical bracketed to the fillet. If anyone has experience, or guidance it will be appreciated.

Additionally, is air lift pump design guidance available?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

about tilted air lift: it is possible the air lift will loose almost 50 percent , but if the pipe is not very big(about four inches and the run is not very long there will no noticeable difference in perfomance.
Better to try before installing.
About deign tips ther is very little info avasilable.I have been using air lifts for several years and developed my own deign method(almost emppirical)

younggun, Beware of the operating costs of these things. They can be quite expensive too operate in the long term. An approx. air cost is, $0.0003/scfm consumed. BTW, does the plant have enough excess compressed air capacity to operate them? Once you run the economics, you may find that Progressing cavity pumps are more economic in the long run.

Hope this helps.
saxon

Younggun;

Send me an email and let me have your company name, email, location and fax and i'll send you a design methodolgy that was developed in the 1060's by DAVCO It is probably out of print. However, I'll be glad to get you a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back