Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

air release valve for marine sewer forcemain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gifco

Civil/Environmental
Jan 14, 2008
I am designing a 150mm HDPE sewer forcemain crossing of a marine harbour (1,500m)
There is an unfortunate hump of about 2.5m high that creates a high spot in the profile. This is without expensive trenching.
Are there suitable air release valves on the market that will operate in this environment?
The pipe at that point is only 9m deep and internal pressure about 20psi.
Thanks for any suggestions

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will not be the operation that will be a problem but the monthly visit to clean off the growth, which will be reduced by budget cuts to once every 6 months, and then before you know the pipe is floating as the valve is clogged by marine growth.

Stephen Argles
Land & Marine

Thanks Stephen, good for a chuckle this morning.
Yes, growth is a problem and I thought there might be a solution such as a screen or by using a tide-flex valve.

I was just curious are you saying this pipeline is not to be installed in a trench (or with a defined cover by other means)?

Given that you're pumping the stuff with positive pressure, I don't understand why you feel the need to vent the high spot.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks for the comments all.

The pipe will be surface laying with concrete blocks
as the weight.

The tide-flex would be on the air release discharge (adapted) from the air release valve. This is just a thought, to see if anyone has ever done something similar.

There are alternitive valves on the market to the Tideflex. A Swedish company called Wapro produce a unit called a WaStop. However, i can't see you avoiding some unwanted discharge using either valve. Mind you, using 60 shore PE you might have a fighting chance.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back