Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Air tanks in pharmaceutical industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakaodrz

Industrial
Jun 1, 2005
MK
I have a question.
We are using 2 tanks with medium capcity for air storing. Both are zinc plated inside to prevent corrosion.Untill 5 months ago, the capacity of our compressor was enough to satisfy our demands (Rallye 086 compressor).
Unfortunately capacity of production is going up, so the consumption of air is raising. Parallel with growth of our production we started (a few years ago installed) cleaning staion type Ultrafilter Ultrapack HED0384, year of production 1998. It is new one, and it is working fine.

Unfortunetely the working hours of our compressor are rising rapidly, because the capacity of air tanks at this moment are not enough for satisfy the consumption of air in production area and of HED0384.

As a left of a previous compressed line we have another air tank with big capacity, but it is not zinc plated inside. I'm planning to connect it to existing line but I do not know is it possible during pharmaceutical needs for clean air.
Our production is class 100.000 so maybe there should't be any problems to assure needed additional air supply , and to reduce working ours of our air compresor.

Any suggestions not to use this existing air tank ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should check with your validation people to determine the system boundaries for your air system and to determine if it is direct impact. They should SOP's to help you determine how to implement the change.

If the tank is inside the direct impact boundary, then you will need to qualify the tank to conform to your plant's validation standard. You will also need to complete Change Control documentation if the sysetm is currently qualified.

If the air system is no impact or direct impact you can commissioning the system only in accordance with your plants SOP's.

does compressed air contact your porduct? If yes, then you have to consider a qualification of the tank.
I would take the follwoing approach (but please check with your QA department):
-A "light qualification" of your compressed air system (DQ/IQ/OQ). If it is done, then just make an IQ for the new tank;
-Installation of terminal air filters in the user points where CA contacts the product.

Eventually this approach would make it easier.

Yes, the air has direct impaci in some parts of the system.
Should the air filters from cleaning station and other filters installed in line be enogh to protect the system ?

If I should coated the tank, then there is a lot of work, because I have to find a company who will do that, and a truck to move it to it. I must say that for country such as mine (Macedonia) i doubt that there is anybody capable to do zinc coating to such huge rezervoir (3m. height and abouit 1.5m in diameter).

Is the air dryer placed before or after the air reciever? If it is before the receiver then the problem is not severe.

However, you can scrap the inside surface thoroughly with wire brush, put zinc chromate coating and if necessary go for epoxy painting. Filters will take care of the contaminants but they may load up fast. If you properly maintain the drain traps of intercooler (assuming yours is a two stage machine), aftercooler and receiver you can reduce the severity of the problem.

The air dryer is after tanks.
I should check real good the possibility of cleaning it with brus, but zinc coating is very hard to do.
I'm planing to use this tank just for backup of other two tanks, and the air from it will mere the used air in smaller tanks, so the compressor will be less under load then now.

Zinc chromate is just like a primer and you can do it with a brush (not galvanizing) provided you have a manhole to the receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back