Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

air to air exchanger application

Status
Not open for further replies.

corky2

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2005
US
Does anyone have any experience using an air to air exchanger to ventilate a tightly constructed horse barn?

The barn is located in northern Michigan and the owners are reluctant to enter into the expense of heating make up air for a ventilation system, would air to air be an economicaly feasible alternative?

I could also use a reliable source for suggested ventilation rate I've been able to find quite a bit about natural ventilation methods but little to nothing adressing mechanical methods.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not my field, but could a rotary heat exchanger be a possible solution ? Warmed humid exhaust air heats a slowly revolving very fine matrix, which gives up it's heat the to cold dry entering makeup air. It can sometimes be a fairly efficient means of heat recovery in some situations.

I have used products from Del-Air Systems for barn applications. My specific applications was pigs.. but horses should be similar.

Try the above link. The website is low on content, but the contact information below should allow you to contact their technical support people directly.

Del-Air Systems
1704 4th Ave,
Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0
Tel. : 306-682-5011

I'm working in hvac industry and i believe that rotary type will be well expensive choice however a crossflow heat recovery unit will suit your need in a combination of two fans. Even a heater coil can be supplied later if your customers decide to make additions.

Corky: we have horses and they are pretty hardy. But if I was going to ventilate my barn I would use a Plate type air to air heat exchanger. Try and find one that is cleanable. The other thing to look out for is frosting in cold climates. If the outdoor air is below freezing and there is any moisture in the exhaust stream, frosting can occur in the HEX. If this happens, by-pass dampers can help but it reduces the effective recovery rate of the unit. Now that was from the engineer, from the horseman, a well insulated barn is all you need. The horses put off enough body heat to keep the barn warm. In Europe, the farmers build there houses on top the barn so the heat from the stock heats the house. I grew up in Montana and it gets plenty cold in the winter and we never had a problem with the Horses even at 30 below. If cost is an issue there are plenty of low tech designs on the web that can be home built.

Corky: we have horses and they are pretty hardy. But if i was going to ventilate my barn I would use a Plate type air to air heat exchanger. Try and find one that is cleanable. The other thing to look out for is frosting in cold climates. If the outdoor air is below freezing and there is any moisture in the exhaust stream, frosting can occur in the HEX. If this happens, by-pass dampers can help but it reduces the effective recovery rate of the unit. Now that was from the engineer, from the horseman, a well insulated barn is all you need. the horses put off enough body heat to keep the barn warm. In Europe, the farmers buid there houses on top the barn so the heat from the stock heats the house. I grew up in Montana and it gets plenty cold in the winter and we never had a problem with the Horses even at 30 below.

I have five, breathing humans in my house which is about 1,800 ft2 and 14,400 ft3. My heating system (along with most humans' systems) is a recirc only heating system. How many horses and how many cubic feet in the barn?

The best solution might be a one-fan, recirculating heating system. If necessary, a small amount of outside air can be drawn through the suction side of the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back