Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasim12345

Industrial
Apr 25, 2017
SA
Air_volume_tank_qwmdgl.jpg

Dears

I need your advice pls. We have Air volume tank available in our plant & PSVs are available in each air volume tank. However, these are not yet added in our PM schedule. As per ASME code or API, is it mandatory that these air volume tank PSVs must be calibrated in every 3 year / 4 years? Is it mentioned anywhere in the industrial code that, it is a mandatory requirement? Find attached photo for Air volume Tank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start with API-576 4th Edition 2017 - Inspection of Pressure-relieving Devices/

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

PS: If the valve is required to be to ASME VIII and carries a "UV/NB" stamp, it should also have a lifting lever. The photo does not appear to show one. Unless an ASME Code Case has been exercised, it should have a lever.

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

Note that ASME Code Case 2203 allows the lifting lever requirement to be waived if certain conditions are met, like a periodic PMI program in the shop (remove device), the owner requests the omission, and local jurisdiction approves.

Good Luck,
Latexman

An example would be when operating the lifting lever has a non-trivial consequence. That wouldn't be the case with ordinary compressed air, but would be the case with many fluids other than compressed air.

moltenmetal: ASME VIII "UV/NB" Stamped PRV's require to have lifting device for steam, air or water (if water 140'F/60'C +), unless Code Case used as I indicated earlier.

Instead of the broken English, can we call this device by its proper name... "Compressed Air Receiver" ??

Is this pressure vessel part of the plant's compressed air system ?

Can the OP find a ladder, take some information from the outside of the valve and perhaps a couple of more pictures ?

Here in the USA, the highly esteemed National Board recommends inspection of pressure relief device operation as described in the "Inspector Guide for Pressure Relief Devices"

Do not simply walk away from this thread .... Share with us your final decision

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Nasim12345 I gather you have responsibilities of a large plant. Besides the NB Air Receiver notes link provided and API-576 I initially advised, you may want to look at the full scope of National Board maintenance etc., by reviewing the comprehensive National Board Inspection Code 2019. This covers various plant equipment and This comes in 4 parts;-
1. Installation
2. Inspection
3. Repairs & Alterations
4. Pressure Relief Devices
You can obtain it here

nasim,

We don't know where this is based, but in general "mandatory" items come fomr National legislation ( safety bodies etc) or internal company procedures.

That's where you need to look.

Design codes don't do what you're looking for.

Most reputable companies who recognise the value of preventative maintenance and testing of critical safety devices, will require this valve to be tested on a regular basis, normally between 3 and 5 years.

I hope you work for such a company.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch

see attached procedure snap shot. I hope because of this reason, this safety valve not added in SAP for regular calibration. Normally all our PSVs are testing from 2 years to 5 years.

Refer to NB recommendation, we are thinking to add this psv in SAP for regular PM.

Procedure_screen_shot_oy4w5h.png

That's a pretty big air accumulator!

The point is that it looks like this vessel does have a PRV fitted, therefore yes, it should be tested.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to be there according to the extract above which I can understand and have seen before - basically it says that the upstream pressure source is already protected against overpressure so you don't need to double up.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Again, we have an English translation problem of "What is it ?????"

I do not believe that this huge strange device is an "Air Accumulator" (a small capacity pressure vessel that falls outside the scope of ASME VII) Air accumulators are typically less than 5 gallons and are located at points of air tool usage ....

I believe that it is an "Compressed Air Receiver" and is part of a compressed air system ...

Nasim12345,... Whatever you do, Please DO NOT answer any of my questions such as is this huge vessel part of a compressed air system ..... please DO NOT post any more information or pictures of the existing relief device .... This helps us way too much ...

This gives us way more information and prevents your "drip drip drip" method of questioning from extending on and on and on ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

MJCronin.. i am very sorry if you feel i made any mistake. When i was asking about this Air volume tank doubts, i don't have any other information other than the picture. Later on i got a few details.

In you initial reply, you have mentioned that
"Do not simply walk away from this thread .... Share with us your final decision". That is the reason, when i get any feedback i replied to them.

Sorry again, if i made any mistake.

Thanks
Nasim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back