Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Airbus Material Callout Rosetta Stone? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mines Mech E

Aerospace
Mar 9, 2017
US
Working on an A321 project in the FWD cargo cabin near the center wing tank. The design group has a repository of Airbus drawings which I need to now analyze and write margins against . . . trouble is that I am unfamiliar with Airbus material callouts.

Silly me for assuming that the drawing or PL would use human language like AL 7075-T73 or AISI 301 Stainless. Instead, I have to guess at gibberish such as DIN7527-1.6604.4ES120X50.

I'm hoping there is someone out there familiar with Airbus vendor material callouts who can point me to some semblance of meaning - I mean, one would naturally assume the gibberish above *means* something, right?

Does anyone recognize DIN7527-1.6604.4ES120X50 ?
What about LN9388-5.2201.3-50 ?, or LN1798J45 ?

Is there anything like the MMPDS for Europe that has these numbers?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DIN 7527 is a drop forged steel bar that would be a German spec Deutsches Institut für Normung
The LN spec is Luftfahrt Norm which is an LBA spec
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

I'm guessing you didn't try a quick google ...

Surprisingly a Germany based OEM would use German materials ...

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Mines Mech E ,
I gave you references to the relevant specs you asked about, The LBA is the equivalent in Germany of our FAA , The Ln standard includes , but is not restricted to, most of the aviation bolts and screws used in aircraft production in Germany.
You have to be careful with European aircraft because DIN 960 fine thread bolts are also used in aircraft production.
The Din specs like ASME specs cover most things produced in Germany. LN is German aviation spec.
However since the Airbus is also produced in France you will be dealing with EASA specs,
EASA has jurisdiction over new type certificates and other design-related airworthiness approvals for aircraft, engines, propellers and parts, so you will need to research this as well, Since you are out of you depth in covering this, I advise you to get help from your co-workers.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Thanks! This is the sort of info I need. [thumbsup]

berkshire said:
... Since you are out of you depth in covering this, I advise you to get help from your co-workers.

I'd love to ... but the office I'm working at now is very small and the other engineers there are CAD guys, mostly; [sad] One downside of not working for a large company, I guess.

Mines Mech E

IHS Standards Expert has older copies of the 3 material specs You cited. A 'quick look' indicates that these codes will take some effort/experience to translate.

In truth, it sounds like You're trying to absorb the language/short-hand/manufacturing of AirBust by taking a short-cut [often longest distance between two points].

Unfortunately, AirBust, like all other manufacturers' [Boeing, Lockheed, Canadair, Cessna, etc] executes engineering drawings in the language/intent/short-hand of the company... and NOT in standard formats that would the benefits of the rest-of-us. These specs will only be the start of Your Journey... rest of the journey is trying to figure out how AirBust makes real parts and assemblies to meet the drawings. I have these discussions with my government counterparts all-the-time... gotta know how 'my company' would interpret these drawings so you actually make an accurate assessment of their meaning [with exceptions].

I would not be surprised if early [black-market] paper copies of AirBust design manuals exist... but they'll be out-of date and unreliable, and not-authoritative, by now.

Sorry... I meant Airbus...

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Thanks WKTaylor and berkshire! [smile] . You've given me some things to focus my search.

WKTaylor said:
... it sounds like You're trying to absorb the language/short-hand/manufacturing of AirBust by taking a short-cut ...

Guilty as charged. You know the modern mantra in aerospace: "Do more with less. Do what's best for the company. You suck and cost too much ... please fix what this supplier did. We already paid them and they aren't answering our calls."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back