Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aircraft Inertia Matrix Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamz1842

Sep 4, 2013
US
Does any one know where I could find the inertia matrix data for production aircraft? (Or even better, does anyone have this information that they can give me (legally of course)?) I'm the TA for an aircraft stability and controls course, and the prof. wants me to find real data for him to use in the homeworks... And to make it better, he wants them to have non-zero off-diagonal terms (ie not around the principal axes, but the body axes) Is this kind of data even available in the public domain? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi tamz1842
Obtain a set of Prof Jan Roskam's books on Aircraft Design. He has a whole book/chapter on the subject of typical historical mass/weight data, including inertia data and cross products resulting from asymmetries.
Hope this helps.
Ed

Ed,
Do you happen to know exactly which book of his its in? I flipped through the Part V of Airplane Design, but couldn't find any historical inertia matrix data in there... I found a little bit of historical weight data and methods of estimating the inertias, but I didn't actually see any historical inertia data. Is this what you are referring to, or did I miss something? Thanks!

tamz1842,
At present I am separated from my technical database, on an Ipad, so cannot give you a more complete reply. Part V is the correct item I was referring to. There is other Roskam data on the subject which I have which may not be in the public domain. Part V and its semi-empirical inertia methods are based on historical mass and inertia data, which I thought would be suitable for your homework exercises.
You're welcome,
Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back