Airfoil Cross Section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDesigner09

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2010
US
Hi,

I would like to create an airfoil cross-section that (kind of)follows the camber line.

It appears that I may be able to do this either with an aligned or unfolded cross-section. I went through the tutorial & something still isn't working for me.

I'm trying to capture the internal internal features better rather than just having a planner cross-section.

Can this be done & if so, how?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Everyone,

To help identify what I am trying to do, I attached some pictures.

Please review & provide steps to create these various cross-section views.

My Primary goal is to show internal features that are in an airfoil that is kind of "U" shaped, as clearly as possible.

Thanks for the assistance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d6454070-5ba6-415e-b8eb-13ce194f5911&file=ProE_WF_4.0_-_Cross-Section_Questions.doc
I am not sure how to unfold a section that follows a curve (when I try what normally works for a planar align doesn't seem to work for a curve).

You can check out the attached drawing to see what my results were. I went to view>view manager in the model. Go to the Xsec tab and choose new section. Choose Offset section, and when asked for a plane choose a plane that is normal to the axis of the blade. This plane is where you will sketch the section line. In order for Pro/E to complete the section it will need to have linear ends, but between the line ends you can have whatever curve you want. I have attached an image of this as well.

With your section defined in the model, you can display it as normal in the drawing.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=957aca79-3af5-4b2c-a98d-9807f8d3c25f&file=Untitled.png
Hi AAFuni,

This is exactly what I'm looking for. What's with the table? I do need to make the table, but wasn't sure how to extract the airfoil points onto or into a table.

First concern is to get the cross-section, as you have in your example. I'll give this a try when I get back to work.

Thanks

Haha, that isn't a table, that is the section. As I was doing this quickly I didn't take the time to reorient the section lines (they are horizontal on the section).

Hi AAFuni,

My bad... Didn't quite see the fine or blurred print with the Section call out.

Now, to create your section, did you "sketch" out the circles & create a camber line from them?

Or as you going through the Section steps, were you able to just select the midpoints of these circles?

I just want to make sure I have the steps correctly.

Thanks

You will be prompted within the tool. If you want to you can make a curve beforehand and use its geometry in the section, but you can just do it in the flow of the tool prompts.

Hi AAFuni,

I tried going through your steps -

...view>view manager in the model. Go to the Xsec tab and choose new section. Choose Offset section, and when asked for a plane choose a plane that is normal to the axis of the blade. This plane is where you will sketch the section line. In order for Pro/E to complete the section it will need to have linear ends, but between the line ends you can have whatever curve you want....

I seem to be getting stuck on the "linear ends" portion because I am not able to create desired section & if I exit out of the sketch, I lose my inserted curves.

I tried created a camber line, defined by the centers of 3 circles within the airfoil profile. I must be missing something here.

Please advise....

Thanks

Hi AAFuni & Others,

If you look at my sample pictures, in the bottom picture, there is a "wall" that is result of my folded section.

I'm trying to figure out why this was developed, but more importantly, how to get rid of it.

As mentioned previously, I'm trying to capture some internal features. I'm trying to get a view normal to these features either through some type of section or an image, where I remove part of the airfoil concave wall for clarity.

Any suggestions on how to fix this folded section attempt & remove the "wall" as seen in bottom picture? Or, I could use some instructions to remove part of the concave airfoil wall.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back