Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Airlines Don`t Need frssh Graduation Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawki321

Sep 8, 2006
EG
After 1 month keep hard search in all airlines
There is a not airline company need fresh graduation engineer this is BIG problem for all engineer I thought
They need at lest 5 year experience
What we do to have this experience without work in any airlines

I want to discuss this with all Aircraft Engineers here If anybody know airlines need fresh graduation or at lest need just (basic aircraft maintenance)??
Hope to get help

Wait all your reply

Eng ahmed shawki

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i've been following your other thread. i'd've thought your chances with boeing, airbus, major airlines were not good (which appears to be the case).

what about local airlines (smaller), local (smaller) manufacturers, operators, modifiers ? how about the military ?

What country are you in, and where are you located within the aforementioned country?

Are you willing to relocate?

The communication barrier could be a deterrent for a potential employer, especially for someone who lacks experience in the field.

Reidh

Reidh

Is there some terminology confusion here? Most airlines do not do much in the way of direct engineering; that's what companies like Boeing and Airbus do.

TTFN

What I have found out talking to engineers at airlines is that they support the line mechanics when they need a repair that is outside the scope of the SRM. Usually these are 'line repairs' between flights, and they need to have answers pretty quickly. Other ways to get experience is to work at a repair facility or a mod facility.

If I remember correctly at university some students had placements (kind of internships but either for a full year out or just the summer) with airlines, I'm thinkin British Airways.

I believe these then led to jobs with them.

As IRstuff says I think most airlines don't do much if any 'design' and what little they may have done historically for interiors etc is mostly outsourced these days.

The internships I mentioned were I believe either flight engineers (dying bread) or maintenance engineering (as in management and paperwork not being a mechanic). Even a lot of maintenance is now outsourced if I recal correctly.

Oh, another thing.

I believe the airlines may get many of their engineers the same place they get many of their pilots - ex military.

This may explain the 5 year requirement.

If you're in the US (and probably most other major countries), contact the job shops and get your experience by contracting. Get your resume posted at cjhunter.com, and you will get plenty of calls.

Most airlines are very cost conscious. I tend to think of the HR departments as salary suppression departments for the non organized labor groups.

My experience is that an airline that is already receiving substantial vendor support will employ as many entry level engineers that they can get away with. The entry level engineers accept lower wages and work longer hours for the experience.

Entry level engineers usually have a higher tolerance for bailing out failed management planning without complaint.

That’s often what the engineer of the month is, the individual that saved some managers project from the failure after the total absence of resource planning took it’s toll.

We have numerous entry level engineering positions open and we have even more resumes to go through to narrow it down to interview. I just reviewed over 300 resumes for an entry level engineering position. About 25% of these resumes are for students who are graduating in May 07. We are bringing in several of these for an interview. Also, I have spoken with Directors of Engineering at several other carriers to see if they have any co-op's who will soon be graduating and they told me that they did but they were going to try and recruit them themselves. So there is definetly a market for "just graduating" engineers.

Maybe it's not that airlines don't need young Engineer's, maybe you have to work on your resume and your presentation. Coordinate with your career placement office and have them review your resume. If you don't know someone to give your resume to personally, you most likely will have to apply on-line and go through the HR screening. If your resume doesn't have the key words or show you meet the qualifications, the hiring managers will never see your resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back