Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Airport Runway Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean_14

Structural
Mar 5, 2019
US
I am working on replacing sections of a concrete slab on a Naval Aircraft Runway. I am trying to determine the required psi of concrete and best mix to use. Which code would I use to determine the required specifications. I have been looking into AASHTO, FAA, and DOA for information and have not found any specifications.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may find it to be about 4500psi and 3" slump... UFC likely has it. Do you know what the existing is? and how has it held up?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

About 40 years ago, I went to presentation at Structural Engineering Association of Illinois (SEAOI) on a rehab of one of O'Hare Airports Runways. They rehabbed about a 1/4 of it (1800 feet, if I'm remembering right) and this was a major project.
What surprised me and the guy I went with was that the controlling case for runways is the takeoff section. This is because:
[ul]
[li]All the planes take off from the same starting point, while planes land in a band of a thousand feet or so.[/li]
[li]The planes are heaviest when they're filled with fuel.[/li]
[li]Planes touch down pretty lightly.[/li]
[/ul]
Anyway, I've never designed a runway, but that stuck with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back