Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Airspring design in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

O_Giannis

Automotive
Nov 23, 2021
GB
Hi team,

I am a quite fresh member here and also I have just started with Abaqus.
The project I am currently working on is designing and validating a model for an airspring for a passenger car.
The structure is similar to tires (4 layers; i) rubber - ii) fabric reinforcement with nylon cords at 45 deg bias angle iii) same as (ii) at 135 deg bias angle iv) rubber).

Is there somewhere I can start searching on how to begin? I have done some research and came across methodologies as Mooney rivlin, ogden etc and hashin damage for reinforced composites.

Any insight would be more than valuable.

Also, I was thinking that if I prepare the layers and assemble them and prepare a "sandwich" specimen similar to the ones used for a tensile strength test, maybe I can get experimental data from the test team in the lab and apply them to my specimen. thoughts?

Thanks in advance great people!

Yiannis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the article "Simulating a rubber fibre reinforced air spring using Abaqus" on Simuleon’s blog. There’s also an example problem in Abaqus documentation titled "Hydrostatic fluid elements: modeling an airspring".

Calibration with experimental data is always desirable in FEA, especially when such advanced materials are used.

Hi there! Thanks a lot for the reply. I have came across with that before, however the level of accuracy is not ideal in this case. In my case I need to assign properties to the nylon cords as well and also create a net pretty much of the helix embedded cords. It is a start I know, but there are missing a lot of things for the rubber side of the material (Mooney Rivlin, Ogden etc.).
So this is a start but yeah... I need some more than that unfortunately.

When it comes to hyperelasticity, it depends on what exactly you are looking for. If you need general information regarding these material models and their implementation in Abaqus then there are many detailed sources such as books, blog posts and Abaqus documentation. However, if you want to obtain constants for hyperelastic model in case of this particular material then check research papers and try to do some physical testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back