Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AISC 16th Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_ELP

Structural
Aug 14, 2021
US
Does anyone know what changes were made in the latest AISC manual? Possibly a link to any publications with a comprehensive list of the changes? I'm debating purchasing the 15th or 16th edition to use while studying for the SE. NCEES is still using the 15th ed.for the exam.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For exam studying, it's hard to see how it would make much of a difference.

I'm going to go against the grain a little and recommend the 16th.

Most of the Manual is non-mandatory design aids and similar. There are several improvements. Wrap-around gusset plates were mentioned above. There's also updated stuff in Part 9. Part 10 changed a lot. Those parts can be used now regardless of whether the 2022 Specification has been adopted in the applicable building code.

Also, why buy two? You'll need the 16th soon enough.

SE2607 said:
I recommend getting the 15th edition. The 16th won't be adopted by building codes for a few years.

I would reject that advice. There isn't enough differences between the two codes to significantly affect your studying. I would want to use the latest code when studying as a young engineer. Then that code (and all the notes you have on it) will be your resource for years. I still go back to the 1994 AISC manual (LRFD 2nd edition) at times. I have it so tabulated out that I can find obscure sections of the manual very quickly.

My only hesitation is the fact that it would be used as a reference on the SE exam. Not only is understanding the differences in the two very important to make sure you answer questions correctly, some of the tables in the design guides (specifically geometric properties for shapes) are based on recent survey data from mills. I'm not sure how much they change - certainly not enough to matter to a practicing engineer from one edition to the next - but they do change. And it might be enough to throw off a multiple choice answer.

If you're worried about having the wrong one, I wouldn't worry too much about the cost...I think I spent close to $4k getting ready for my PE in references and and a course. I made it back in the first 3 months after my pay raise when I got licensed.

I'd be surprised if there's a question on the exam that hinges on such a tight answer that you'd get it wrong. Usually the multiple choice questions have some space between them.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and resources. I just now learned that with the new computer based test, they provide all codes you will need electronically. No more bringing your own tabbed codes and references. I would assume as long as the title or location of certain informations doesn't change, there shouldn't be major changes in values or design procedures required to get the solution. Hopefully NCEES wouln't attempt to trick somone by showing an incorrect answer with information that is only to be found in the 16th edition.

16th_nyxn2j.jpg

I happen to have a spare 16th... :)

-5^2 = -25 ;-)

@RattlinBog
It was pretty tough. I'm not sure I did very well. Not having tabbed books next to you is a definite hindrance. I spent too much time going through the PDFs...

@phamENG
Yes, I entered the AISC contest and won one! I'm featured in the February issue of Modern Steel Construction magazine.

-5^2 = -25 ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back