Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AISC-ASD89 and sap 2000 out put

Status
Not open for further replies.

sukocek

Structural
Jun 29, 2007
TR
i have a queestion about output of sap2000,
the nominal compression strenght is the minumum value obtained from flexural buckling,torsional buckling and fleaksual-torsional buckling.

my question is:where can I see valuse of flexural buckling,torsional buckling or flexual-torsional buckling . (how can i understand if i have a problem about flexural buckling,torsional buckling or flexual-torsional-buckling)

i use AISC-ASD89 and some times i get some alert
for example :fa>fe or kl/r>200 etc... can you expain all of those meaning.

i think answers of these question will be useful either forme and other sap 2000 users.

i will wait your answers.

have a good work

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excerpted from AISC-ASD

Torsional buckling of symmetric shapes and flexural-torsional buckling of unsymmetric shapes are failure modes usually not considered in the design of hotrolled
columns. They generally do not govern or the critical load differs very little from the weak axis planar buckling load. Such buckling loads may, however, control the capacity of symmetric columns made from relatively thin
plate elements and of unsymmetric columns.

So, Even in AISC-ASD it refers to the LRFD E2-1 or E2-2 equations, where it leads you to slenderness ratio with which you can specify the critical load for flexural-torsional buckling check.

When it comes to the KI/r issue, it's been specified as limiting the slenderness ratio in ASD (B7) it preferably shouldn't exceed the 200. In the case that this limitation is violated, then calculated axial load (fa) shouldn't exceed the critical Euler buckling(Fe).

Hope that helps.

Civil-Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back