Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AISC structure, double nut on connections... 1

X4vier

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2018
CO
Anybody is suggesting me use double nuts on bolted connections for primary frame of buildings -one under the head of the bolt and one under the nut-
Is there any note or recommendation on the AISC codes that prohibits or suggests these can't be done?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my exceptions:
INSTALLATION OF ‘JAM’ NUTS (NOT RECOMMENDED):
(REFER TO: THE INNER JAM NUT SHALL HAVE A THICKNESS OF NOT MORE THAN 75% OF THE OUTER NUT;
THE INNER NUT SHALL BE INSTALLED FIRST AND SNUGGED TO 50% OF THE TORQUE VALUE;
THE OUTER JAM NUT SHOULD BE INSTALLED SNUG TO THE INNER JAM NUT;
THE INNER NUT SHOULD BE RESTRAINED TO KEEP FROM ROTATING AND THE OUTER JAM NUT SHOULD BE FULLY TORQUED TO IT; AND
WRECK THE THREADS ABOVE THE NUT.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Slip critical and snug tight usually provide enough clamping force to prevent loosening.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

They must mean a double nut on the thread side, right? Or washer one side nut on the other. Putting a nut on the head side of a bolt is something my wife might do if she was the steel installer.

I would like to see someone get a nut all the way to the head of an A325 bolt:
Bolt-A325-Hex-Head-Cap-Screw_sjyyjl.jpg

Surely the question is actually about washers?
If so, it would be acceptable to use two as described, though generally not required.

dik said:
From my exceptions:
INSTALLATION OF ‘JAM’ NUTS (NOT RECOMMENDED):
(REFER TO: THE INNER JAM NUT SHALL HAVE A THICKNESS OF NOT MORE THAN 75% OF THE OUTER NUT;
THE INNER NUT SHALL BE INSTALLED FIRST AND SNUGGED TO 50% OF THE TORQUE VALUE;
THE OUTER JAM NUT SHOULD BE INSTALLED SNUG TO THE INNER JAM NUT;
THE INNER NUT SHOULD BE RESTRAINED TO KEEP FROM ROTATING AND THE OUTER JAM NUT SHOULD BE FULLY TORQUED TO IT; AND
WRECK THE THREADS ABOVE THE NUT.

This is critical information. From what I've read, the common approach of two equal thickness nuts doesn't help.

Concur... and not recommended. I design connections for metal fabricators and often come across 'jam nuts'. That's why my exceptions have these notes. I was a little puzzled about the original question. A nut under the head does absolutely nothing.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Oh sorry. [sadeyes] Yes I was talking about washers.
Oups.
The main idea is for bolted connections on cold formed material is there any increase in capacity for using a washer on head additionally to the washer that goes with the nut?
Double-Washer_gu4rnp.png

sbisteel gave you the link to the specification - it is a free download.

Without looking at the spec, I know that if the outer ply is sloped (like on a channel) a beveled washer is required.
Also if there is a slotted hole, a washer is required.
Finally if group 150 bolts are pretensioned and the connected material is less than 40ksi, washers are required. There are probably others, take a look at the spec.

Back