Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

aisi 1005-1012 bar or seamless tubing/pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyke

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2002
Good day:

I am having trouble finding this material. The US Navy is specifying this material for use with a seal ring.

Are any of these low carbon steels available in bar or seamless pipe/tubing.

The finished sizes are approx. 4.5" OD x 4" ID and 3.5" OD x 3" ID. The specification states AISI 1005-1010 annealed to 55 HRB max.

If these materials are truly not available, then we'll need to go to the Navy and state as such.

TIA,

--
Eyke
So long and thanks for all the fish --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The low carbon steels are commonly formed into tubing thou I think that the specifications are much more complex than just Max Rockwell B and Chemistry. Some one may be along to help later.....'

(piping guys where are you?)

nick

Seamless tubing is usually produced to an industry standard such as ASTM A 519. Grade 1008 is the lowest grade offered. Grades 1010 and 1012 are also available. The same is true for bars. For example, cold finished bars produced to ASTM A 108 are available in standard grades 1008, 1010, and 1015, but not 1005 or 1012.

TVP:

Do you have a source for A108 bar? I tried a supplier in Dallas, but he said things were bleak AFA finding any low carbon bar.

TIA
Eyke

--
Eyke
So long and thanks for all the fish --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

The top Metal Service Centers that carry steel bars (ASTM A 108 cold-finished) are the following:

Ryerson Tull
Copper & Brass Sales (Thyssen)
Reliance Steel & Aluminum
MacSteel Service Centers USA
Russel Metals Inc.
Samuel
EMJ (Earle M. Jorgensen

I am not aware of any of them carrying as-standard anything lower than grade 1018. You may want to check directly. If the quantity is sufficient, any bar mill will produce what you need.

It is more likely that you could obtain a low carbon tube in an alloy such as 1008 rather than a bar. I recommend you investigate this option further. Any of the above Service Centers carry tubing as well, and you may check with Plymouth Tube and Timken as well:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back