Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AISI Equivalent of BS EN 10305 E220 grade Mild Steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

autospace

Automotive
Apr 29, 2009
GB
Hi All,

I'm looking for the material properties of E220 grade Mild Steel. The part in question is a flat oval tube made to British Standard BS EN 10305-3:2003 or -5:2003.

I know that I can use Matweb to easily find the properties of the grade, if I have an American equivalent.

I have looked at various conversion sites etc, but haven't been able to find the AISI grade required.

Many thanks,

AutoSpace

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks CoryPad,

I may be looking in the wrong location, but haven't been able to find either the grade or the spec you mention. Could you point me to where I might find it?

Thanks.

autospace,

It is a little more difficult to find mechanical properties of semi-finished products like welded steel tubes using Matweb or similar. The specification requirements for E220 (1.0215) +CR2 according to EN 10305-3 are as follows:

ultimate tensile strength = 310 MPa min
yield strength = 220 MPa min
Elongation after fracture = 23% min (gauge length L[sub]o[/sub] of 5,65[√]S[sub]o[/sub])

Many thanks TVP,

As I understand, "CR" denotes Cold Reduced. What does the "2" indicate. Also is the (1.0215) a part of the spec. req. or part of the definition of the steel grade?

Also if you have similar figures to hand for 10305-5, I'd be most grateful if you could post those.

All the best,

AutoSpace

The properties are the same in 10305-5 as in 10305-3. With regards to designations, the system used by CEN [creators of European Norms (EN)] includes both a designation like E220 as well as a Material Number such as 1.0215. Note that Material Number is consistently used throughout ENs but the term designation is not; other terms used include Steel Name (if it is for steel), Name, Alloy Number, Kurzzeichen or Kurzname (German), etc. Either one can be used to identify the alloy in question, but it is good practice to include both.

DIN EN 10305-2 uses the following explanations for defining the +CR2 delivery condition:

Welded and cold sized: +CR2 [sup]c[/sup] Not intended for heat treatment after the welding and sizing process

[sup]c[/sup] NOTE 2 If further heat treatment is applied, the resulting mechanical properties may be outside the specified requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back