Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alernatives to DVT camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am thinking of installing a DVT camera for manufacturing inspection, but before I commit, I want to do some research on the alternatives.
Any of you with some expierence on Smart Cameras that can tell me what other web sites to go to?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To what degree of accuracy do you want to measure and over what length? There are many solutions here in Europe for machine vision inspection systems, you can check with the machine vision association for specific vendors, see
However, its best to put your money into getting the process right, build in process capability rather than trying to inspect it in.

Just remember one thing with vision systems. It doesn't matter who's vision system you are using, so long as you do your homework and get the correct lighting. Lighting is the signal most important element when setting up an vision system. Anyone's vision system will work with the correct lighting.

If you rule our the lighting, then your left with the core product. My preference is Cognex. Why? Because I like Excel spreadsheets, and a Cognex system is based on Excel. It's very powerful. It can be cumbersome to someone that is not very good with spreadsheets, but if you are that type of a person, I would recommend it.

Cognex also has some newer cameras in the 5100 Insight series that you can purchase a PAT MAX tool. It's $500 adder for some added features if you are trying to lock onto a hard part.

When I say "lockon", generally when designing a vision system you should find a feature on the part to lock on to to establish an X.Y.Th. Once that is establish, then you create a dynamic offset tool that all your inspection tools revolve around. So if you part moves all over the screen, your lockon tool will find the part, report back the X.Y.Th then you lay all your other tools around the part for the inspection.

Good luck.

PS: I am bias, because I am a Cognex CVI (Certified Vision Intergrator)

But, I've tried other systems. Here is an article I just wrote about Keyence:

Chris Elston
Automation & Controls Engineer
Download Sample PLC Ladder Logic Code
at MrPLC.com

Depends on the application on what would be the best choice and like chakorules said - lighting is key, oh and lensing can be as well. I don't have a lot of direct experience but many of my customers use Matrox, Cognex, DVT. PPT and Banner are two others.

I agree that lighting and lensing is absolutely pivotal in whether or not you succeed. I like Cognex insight systems very much and I also think DVT is a good system as well. I used the 600 and it did well. The application appropriate lighting stragegy will make-or-break any inspection system; but, you're considering good system providers already. We do some vision and we've not yet failed with selecting manufacturers as much as missing the lighting technology.

Wishing you well in your endeavor!

Randall May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back