Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All Around Weld Symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajn22anellie

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2008
US
There is some confusion at my office as to the definition of the all around weld symbol. I have not been able to find a satisfactory answer online. Here is the question....

When two plates (one much smaller than the other )are welded together such that the large flat areas of the plates are in contact and the smaller plate overhangs the larger one, does the all around symbol imply that weld is wrapped around the smaller plate on the back side? See picture for illustration.

If one looks at the attached picture and please excuse the powerpoint drafting....does the all around weld symbol imply that the dashed line is welded?

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's how I interpret the all around symbol, meaning to weld all sides of the joint (even a lap joint).

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I agree with MM. It is an "all" around symbol, not a partially around symbol. If it were a partially around weld, you would not use that symbol.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

In the case shown in your print, I would say yes it means all 4 sides. However if the vertical edges of the two plates were coplanar, it would not mean all 4 sides because one side would need to be a seam weld and not a fillet.

David

It may be technically correct but I would not use it in this situation, because it is easily misinterpreted. Take the extra 8.4 seconds to add additional weld symbols for clarity.

I prefer to restrict all-around to joints like tubes butting onto plates, where the meaning is clear.

Good point, Tick. It is never a good idea to introduce ambiguity to a drawing. If in doubt, spell it out.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

This can be interpreted by different welders. To make it clear, possibly add the weld symbol to all 3 edges and not use 'all around'. If you want the underside welded, show a bottom view with another weld symbol. They both may be two different setups anyway.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 08
ctopher's home (updated Aug 5, 2008)
ctopher's blog
SolidWorks Legion

Agree that this means weld all around including the reverse side but it could be misinterpreted. Also as Dan says, your fillet weld symbol is backwards.
The symbol is always the same, regardless of what side the arrow is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back